cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Sky Sports - circle?

Hi, just joined BT and very pleased with the setup. The Youview box is very nice indeed... And nice to mostly say bye bye to rip off Sky.

But one little query: what's with the tiny on screen circle on Sky Sports 1&2? It's in the bottom right hand corner and appears burned on the feed. Presume Sky have added it. Does anyone know why? Seems utterly pointless.

But like I say - otherwise impressed with BT TV. So hello everybody!!
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sky Sports - circle?

Welcome Elviskelly -  I'm guessing but Sky often make it a condition when licensing  their sports channel that a symbol appears probably  so that it's easy to tell which service the feed is coming from i.e. Virgin Media, BT, a commercial premises or Now TV (which all have a version of the on screen graphic apparently) 

In addition you may ocasionally see numbers in top corner  which probably tell which specific subscriber it is.

It would enable anyone inspecting commercial premises to quickly  identify that a private consumer feed was being shown rather than the much more expensive commercial premises feed.

0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Hello and welcome to the forums, 

Here is a link which may help you, it seems it could be sky's trademark

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/Sky-Sports-1-and-2-circle-on-bottom-right-of-screen/td-p/9...

Hope this helps. Any more questions? I will be glad to try and answer them:)

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Elviskelly
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks everybody. What a bizarre thing to do. Surely if they can make the subscriber numbers appear (as they do via satellite) then the point of the circle is lost. Numbers appear, route for whoever is showing game is found. Shame they are ruining part of the screen with this ...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
EgreBot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

They also make some random number and letter combination show above the channel logo during football matches.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

@Elviskelly wrote:
Thanks everybody. What a bizarre thing to do. Surely if they can make the subscriber numbers appear (as they do via satellite) then the point of the circle is lost. Numbers appear, route for whoever is showing game is found. Shame they are ruining part of the screen with this ...

Possibly because via Satellite you are getting  it direct from a SKy system t whereas for BT and others Sky will provide a feed that the wholesalers (eg BT)  who distribute via their own systems to their subscribers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Just a guess, but is the circle meant to match the three circles that Youview use to indicate a multicast IPTV channel in the EPG? Or possibly it's just meant to represent a cable? Or maybe the never ending circle of life in the circles of your mind? Answers on a postcard.

As already mentioned when Sky Sports was delivered over DTT via the TV aerial it had a Freeview symbol added (even though it wasn't actually part of Freeview as it wasn't free and was encrypted!). The pub/club commercial satellite feeds have a pint glass symbol added.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

When watching BT Sport via the app there is a square symbol displayed  again I suspect to distinguish personal/commercial  stream source.

0 Ratings