cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Sky TV to BTTV - ‘Magic Eye’

Hi. Thinking of moving from Sky TV to BTTV. However, one issue is that I have a ‘magic eye’ system which transmits pictures from my sky hd box to other tvs in other rooms. Is this possible with the BTTV You View box (I suspect not) or is it possible to transmit the pictures by other means? TIA

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Sky TV to BTTV - ‘Magic Eye’

If you have smart TVs' in the other rooms then you only need the box for recording, you can use the various apps on the TV for everything else 

Message 3 of 12

Thank you for the prompt reply, Les-Gibson.

Whilst the tv that would be connected to the You View box is a smart tv (Sony Bravia), the tvs in the other rooms are not (Samsung HD). Any other advice would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 12

I don't believe you can do what you want.

Much like if you "upgraded" to Sky Q (that doesn't support the Magic Eye either). You would need to buy a multiroom subscription and a Sky Q mini for each TV. If you buy Sky Glass or Stream, it's a 'Whole Home' subscription plus a device to connect to each TV.

Same with BT, you would be looking at a BT TV Box Mini to connect to each TV at £10 each per month, but I think you can only get a maximum of two at the moment.

As @Les-Gibson suggests, depending on what you watch, it may be better to use the various apps available to watch your subscriptions in another room (BT TV, BT Sport, NOW, Netflix, Prime etc.) and use the TV's built in tuner for live Freeview channels.

If your other TVs are not very smart, an Amazon Fire TV stick is often recommended as the cheapest, most flexible way to make the apps you need available, assuming the TVs at least have an HDMI port.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 5 of 12

@alreid you won't be able to use the magic-eye to transmit your BT TV signal around the house. If you want to watch Sky content on the other TV's, this can be done via the NowTV app. If the TVs aren't Smart, you could buy a Roku for around £50 which plugs into the HDMI socket and will turn them into Smart TVs 

Message 6 of 12

Thank you for your response 👍
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Isn’t a Sky Magic Eye simply a device for relaying the infrared remote control commands to the main Sky box , nothing to do with re transmitting the ‘TV’ signal
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Yes. I suppose I could have phrased it better.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

This method works with our BT TV pro box.

A 4K HDMI splitter connected to the BT TV Pro box, the 4k output to the TV,  the 1080p output to a 1080p to SCART converter. SCART to a Triax Tri link box that distributes the analogue output over our SKY magic eye co ax system. 

This the spec of the 4K HDMI splitter:-

HDMI Splitter 4K 60Hz 1x2 1080P 120Hz HDCP HDR 18Gbps UHD D-olby Vision Atmos Scaler 4K EDID 1080P Dual Monitors HDMI 2.0 Splitter 1 in2 out for PS5,SkyQ,Xbox, Fire Stick BluRay Apple TV Projector 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Thank you very much….much appreciated.
0 Ratings