cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LGS
Message 1 of 8

Sky sports not possible on YouView box?

Go to solution

I'm basically happy with my BT package except that I want to add on Sky Sports 1&2. I've been told that it's not possible with the  Humax YouView box I have, only with the older vision+? Is there any way round this? Any rumours of BT introducing a new box or work-around which will allow me to get sky?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sky sports not possible on YouView box?

Go to solution

The reasons are concratural rather than technical.  BT would love to offer Sky Sports on the YouView platform but they've been unable to reach an agreement with Sky to do so.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Its a commercial issue rather than a technical problem.

Currently BT do not have wholesale rights to transmit and sell on Sky Sports on the Youview platform.

BT do have wholesale rights to standard definition Sky Sports 1 & Sky Sports 2 channels on the BT Vision+ box. 

0 Ratings
LGS
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks to you both.

What a pity! I'm off to Sky then, ironically the only Premiership games I'll miss are the ones on BT! The bt sport reception keeps cutting out anyway.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sh1983
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

It's funny how Sky like YouView from BT to have Sky Store, Now TV and the Sky Movies channels but not the Sky Sports and the other Sky channels.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@sh1983 wrote:

It's funny how Sky like YouView from BT to have Sky Store, Now TV and the Sky Movies channels but not the Sky Sports and the other Sky channels.

Not really. Sky make money directly from Sky Store, Now TV etc. Allowing BT to have Sky Sports will cause Sky to lose customers as there is less reason to stay with, or select Sky, as a provider.  Sky are not happy with BT for starting their own sports channel. This is their way of telling BT where to stick it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@drhowells wrote:

@sh1983 wrote:

Not really. Sky make money directly from Sky Store, Now TV etc. Allowing BT to have Sky Sports will cause Sky to lose customers as there is less reason to stay with, or select Sky, as a provider.  Sky are not happy with BT for starting their own sports channel. This is their way of telling BT where to stick it.

When the new Champions League starts on BT, SKY might have a change of heart and come to some agreement with BT.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Or unless OFCOM force them to.
0 Ratings