Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanW17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 111 of 540

Re: Sky sports rebrand

Go to solution
I think the fact that the help pages seem to mention that existing subscribers won't have to do anything when the changes happen suggests that there will be no price change.

AS far as I know, the only platform that is eligible to the new pricing structure is the Sky platform. VM and TT are both offering all or nothing packages. I doubt it will be any different with BT. To add insult to injury, Sky Sports Xtra won't begin broadcasting until the EPL season begins so effectively you really are getting 1 premium channel. OFCOM really need to intervene here.
0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 112 of 540

Go to solution

The Extra channel can't start broadcasting until then anyway as the only time it will be used is when they have to move a Premier League game there to avoid a clash with something on the Main Event channel. At other times there will be nothing on that channel anyway.

I can't see OFCOM getting invoilved as Sky will be providing all 126 EPL matches live plus most (but obviously not all) of the rest of their biggest live sports events on this Main Event channel.

As I've now said a few times it is only one channel we will be getting as the other 'Extra' channel will only be on air for a limited number of live EPL games.

Sky's game here is to attract viewers away from BT. I know BT are trying to dress this package (if you can call one channel a package) up but they must be aware that for most people these changes may mean missing out on their favourite sports all together (or at the very least a big chunk of their faves).

0 Ratings
keendartfan
Aspiring Expert
Message 113 of 540

Go to solution
Sky Sports Xtra broadcasts everyday online
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hooba
Aspiring Contributor
Message 114 of 540

Go to solution

There will be winners and losers.

Depends on what you like to watch. For me, all good as I can finally watch the F1 plus all the Premier League footy through the BT box. That hasn't been an option until now so have had to rely on NowTV. For others, with different tastes in Sport, not so good. But some will clearly benefit. I like what's on offer. Using the Extra channel as a means of handling clashes looks sensible.

The absolute ideal would be all the Sky Sports channels - but just not going to happen as would likely make BT the platform of choice, over Sky, for sports fans, what with BT having premier league games of its own plus all the European stuff.  

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 115 of 540

Go to solution

I know Sky Sports Xtra broadcasts that way online BUT this channel is to be called Sky Sports Extra (different name) and all the available info so far across different sources online is that it will ONLY be used to show EPL games they can't fit into the Main Event channel. I hope everyone else is wrong and that you are correct but I fear that the truth will be that this is only to be used for EPL overspill.

BT have this to say "This change is happening across all TV providers" here https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59480/kw/Sky%20sports/c/348,7415,7444 but that is untrue as Sky and Talk Talk will not have Extra as they of course get ALL the channels which includes the Premier League channel (so Extra is uncalled for on those platforms).

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 116 of 540

Go to solution

To put us all out of our misery why can't BT provide us with some pricing information (the other platforms are now confirmed pricing wise) and let us know if Extra is a full time channel or a part time EPL overspill only channel?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 117 of 540

Go to solution

As this new channel and a bit will be "replacing" Sky Sports 1&2, I would hazard a guess (and stated by the online chat I had yesterday), that the prices stay at the existing prices SD & HD prices namely £22 & £27pm. 

Stew

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 118 of 540

Go to solution

Skys changes to there Sky Sports channels are to designed to get some sports customers back to Sky and away from BT TV.

BT need to try and up there game to keep there customers happy.

I dont think Sky will ever get on with BT as Sky dont like compatison and never have done.

60% of the sport I watch is on BT Sport or Eurosport.

Im not going to just get Sky Sports to watch it maybe twice a month if im lucky. Also the changes to Sky Sports will not benifit some that have it via BT TV if its only the channels that they say BT will get.

Darren

0 Ratings
Golden_Sands
Aspiring Contributor
Message 119 of 540

Go to solution

When Ofcom regulated the price of Sky Sports 1 & 2 (they stopped doing so in November 2015) it was above £22 (once VAT is added) as far back as 2012.

So, it seems to me that BT don't make a profit on selling Sky Sports and have instead, tried to make BT TV appealing to customers who want Sky Sports, by accepting a loss. The price (£22) hasn't increased since Sky Sports 1 & 2 joined the Youview platform in December 2014.

**Edited** Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Extra on BT TV will include all of its live Premier League matches, plus much more live sport.

Obviously some people would prefer that BT could provide all of the Sky Sports channels, and cricket fans are concerned that some of their sport will not be shown; but when compared to what Sky is charging its own customers for a limited amount of Sky Sports, I think that £22 (SD) and £27 (HD) would look decent value. 

0 Ratings
Golden_Sands
Aspiring Contributor
Message 120 of 540

Go to solution

ney,

BT have "upped their game" though, massively, by investing more in BT Sport, adding new rights.

They can't control the price that Sky wishes to charge for its content- only try to negotiate a price that allows them to sell it on at a reasonable price to BT TV customers; and that clearly isn't easy when your competitor- Sky- have a 60%+ share of the pay-tv market, and are determined to hold on to it.

0 Ratings