Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesC
Expert
Message 241 of 540

Re: Sky sports rebrand

Go to solution

It certainly is a shame what's happening but surely it's not just Sky's fault  - BT have chosen to pass on this increase to customers, indeed could they not have  threatened to not make BT Sport available to Sky customers or to put that sunbscription up massively ie played **bleep**-for-tat as a bargaining tool?

I really do think BT have shot themselves in the foot here as people (myself included) will albeit reluctantly be cancelling their Sky subs in droves.

I've always supported BT over Sky & wish I could still do so, but at the end of the day I will go for whatever provider gives me what I want at the right price.

0 Ratings
IanW17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 242 of 540

Go to solution
The thing is, BT don't make a penny from the Sky Sports bolt-on, so cancelling that option doesn't really bother them. It's those who decide to cancel their BT packages altogether are the ones who will cause the damage. Meanwhile, expect many Now TV deals to suddenly appear out of nowhere. If OFCOM don't think this anti-competitive, then I don't know what is!
0 Ratings
IanW17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 243 of 540

Go to solution
BT's reaction to this should be to snatch up as much rights as possible for future renewals.
0 Ratings
PBS83
Aspiring Expert
Message 244 of 540

Go to solution

@LesC wrote:

It certainly is a shame what's happening but surely it's not just Sky's fault  - BT have chosen to pass on this increase to customers, indeed could they not have  threatened to not make BT Sport available to Sky customers or to put that sunbscription up massively ie played **bleep**-for-tat as a bargaining tool?

I really do think BT have shot themselves in the foot here as people (myself included) will albeit reluctantly be cancelling their Sky subs in droves.

I've always supported BT over Sky & wish I could still do so, but at the end of the day I will go for whatever provider gives me what I want at the right price.

I think people are missing a massive part of the point here - Sky have not increased any charges; they're offering Sky Sports channels to other providers at the same wholesale price as before. BT were previously selling Sky Sports 1 & 2 at a loss (for reasons only they know!) and they've now decided to run it at a profit. The increased cost is purely down to BT.

Threatening to remove BT Sport from the Sky satellite platform wouldn't harm anybody but BT. Sky don't wholesale their channels; BT retail them directly. If they put the satellite subscription costs up, they would only be doing themselves out of custom because Sky have nothing to do with BT Sport on satellite - the only connection Sky have is that it's their service BT are running on.

This is a clear indication that just like Sky, BT is a business and they have chosen to increase costs to try and turn a profit.

Highlighted
PBS83
Aspiring Expert
Message 245 of 540

Go to solution

@IanW17 wrote:
BT's reaction to this should be to snatch up as much rights as possible for future renewals.

So by your logic, BT "snatching up" other sports rights would only serve to increase their own operating costs. Who would pay for that? The customer. Your logic would do nothing but see BT Sport montly subscriptions rise...

IanW17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 246 of 540

Go to solution
You have people who are more than willing to pay £27 for the full range of Sky Sports channels, so why would it be such a bad thing to pay BT a couple more pounds for increased sports coverage?
0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 247 of 540

Go to solution

@IanW17 wrote:
You have people who are more than willing to pay £27 for the full range of Sky Sports channels, so why would it be such a bad thing to pay BT a couple more pounds for increased sports coverage?

Yep, if BT were to provide all the Skyports channels for the same price as NowTV I'd stick with BT!

0 Ratings
Gingerc
Beginner
Message 248 of 540

Go to solution
I've not had an email (yet) but I'm not willing to pay £27.50 pcm or £330 a year for one SD sports channel and so will be cancelling the bolt on first thing in the morning. I can then pick and choose weekly passes on Now TV or go to the pub to watch key matches. Sorry BT, it would've been very convenient to keep Sky Sports on my YouView box but a price hike of that magnitude I simply can't justify.
0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 249 of 540

Go to solution

It could be that BT are quite happy with this price increase. They could be gambling on people not moving away to Sky from BT TV, that rather than jumping ship in anger at the price hike, instead they may just decide to say "no way Sky, you're asking for too much". This in turn could effectively push Sky (a rival) off the platform altogether. This is probably flawed late night thinking on my part but it is only a theory (even if it is implausible).

0 Ratings
andystockbvb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 250 of 540

Go to solution
There is no chance that I am paying £33.50 for one channel. I was paying £21.50 for Sky Sports 1 HD on BT TV. I would pay this if you got all the Sky Sports channels as you dont need to pay for the Sky entertaiment package at £22.

BT should have just refused to show any sky channels at these prices and that includes Sky Movies.
0 Ratings