Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jam2000
Expert
Message 421 of 540

Re: Sky sports rebrand

Go to solution
I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon aren't involved with the bids for EFL and Premier league
Since their recent sports outbidding with sky.
0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 422 of 540

Go to solution

There are many mentions of Amazon flexing its muscles into pay tv sport. There have been RUMOURS and SPECULATION (especially in relation to the Telegraph report) that BT could easily find itself being pushed out of the EPL if they were to only focus on the lesser packs available, leading to a 1-2 of Sky-Amazon getting the EPL match packages. This new staffing situation (and his apparent frugal attitude) at BT could in effect leave BT TV trailing way behind the competitors which I for one would be sad to see happen.

0 Ratings
United77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 423 of 540

Go to solution

I probably will re-subscribe.  For me it's the best option for HD/recording and having everything on one box.  I only use it for football and supposedly the premier league games are guaranteed.  In my experience Now TV has not been reliable for live streaming.  I'm not happy about the price increase, but it's still much cheaper than going through Sky, especially when you add in HD and also consider that you will be in a contract.

If it doesn't work out, at least I can cancel again after the first month.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 424 of 540

Go to solution

My thoughts entirely @United77 (cool name by the way). The recording option is important to me, especially those Sunday 4pm games as I'm never free until 4.30ish, so I can play 'catch up' via a recording. You are correct in saying the Premier League games are guaranteed as the 'Extra' channel will be used should there be any overspill with other Main Event programming.

The 18 month contract with Sky for a new subscriber isn't ideal for me, especially as I'm purely a football fan above any other sport, meaning I'd be paying over the summer with nothing to watch (at least BT Sport is free or at most £3.50 so no big summer outlay for it). If I'd wanted the rest of Sky's channels over BT's offering I'd have originally chose Sky over BT for all my tv viewing, but I didn't, BT provides me with what I need. In fact I ditched Sky for BT TV in the 1st place.

Again, as you quite rightly say, having Sky Sports on a monthly contract means if they stuff it up in any way it will be easy to cancel via BT. Overall it is still cheaper than having Sky itself as there's no need to sub to channels you don't want just to watch some football (and from what I've been reading recently Sky Q is a bit of a nightmare experience).

So that's 2 Sky Sports subscribers on BT now :smileyvery-happy:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
andy_m1
Contributor
Message 425 of 540

Go to solution
3!

And as a tennis fan who's already an Amazon Prime member I'm now pretty much covered for my favourite sports - especially if Main Event continues to show f1.

I'm not sure I can see Amazon becoming a player in the football market. Tennis has a much broader, global, appeal. Football is a bit more tribal. But we'll see.

Having gone down this route I think BT would be silly to pull away from sports rights. 4 channels plus extra channels, hd and 4k variants and a freeview offering are a bit difficult to sustain if you don't have something like the Premier League to underpin it. If they had to scale back their offering because they no longer had the rights to back it up then I think they'd ship a lot of customers.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 426 of 540

Go to solution

It does look like Amazon may well be going down the TV provider route, with the fact they have signed up channels too.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 427 of 540

Go to solution

Welcome aboard @andy_m1. An exclusive club forming here 😁

I think we'd all agree that BT must keep at least what they have now in terms of EPL to sustain the overall sports offering which covers so many bases on varying sports and events. The mix is just right as it stands and if they don't go after more Premier League at least fight to keep what they have now. 

I think Champions/Europa League wins were huge for BT Sport and EPL (as is) complements that quite well.

0 Ratings
clique-al
Contributor
Message 428 of 540

Go to solution

Hi guys, couldn’t agree more with you, BT covers good package sports which suits me too.

BT need keep what they have it’s imperative!, and not lose “any”back to SKY. If they do quite sure present loyal customers (being one) will not be happy. Lets hope they are listening to “their customers” like us. (Al)

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 429 of 540

Go to solution

I'll have signed up (via BT) to Main Event by tonight. As has been said, if it doesn't work out, I can always cancel again without any hassles, unlike Sky who think I'd be daft enough to take out an 18 month contract (with their usual price rises surely approaching soon as they seem to change prices every 9-12 months).

On a side note the next 2 F1 GPs are currently only listed against the F1 channel and not Main Event (but maybe that will change closer to the time?).

0 Ratings
andy_m1
Contributor
Message 430 of 540

Go to solution

Where do you find scheduling information that far ahead, out of interest?

0 Ratings