Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
layman72
Contributor
Message 371 of 540

Re: Sky sports rebrand

Go to solution

This situation has arisen due to Sky trying to poach BT's broadband customers. BT entered the TV market and televised sports rights as a way of protecting its share of the broadband market. This strategy has worked well and has probably hurt Sky.

BT will not wholesale BT Sport to Sky as it would be able to use it to bundle packages to tempt customers away from BT. Sky does not want to offer the whole package of Sky Sports for similar reasons.

So we have a stalemate which isn't going to change anytime soon. BT cannot be expected to sell channels at a loss and Sky knows this. It also knows that by offering the bare minimum to avoid an OFCOM investigation it will annoy BT subscribers with the Sky Sports bolt on.

I am one of those mildly annoyed customers but will not sign up for a Sky TV package and its rip off prices. Selective Now TV passes will do the job whilst BT Sport remains very attractively priced and works well with my fibre broadband.

Nothing is going to change unless BT wins more football rights. It is time to stop whinging about this, accept it and move on.

tomm262
Aspiring Contributor
Message 372 of 540

Go to solution
Very true it's the inconvenience of having to use more than one device now.

What you said is also the reason why you can only get now TV app on bt youview with cinema.

It is very annoying for everybody on BT that this has happened sky must be laughing now knowing that people on BT will be annoyed at what they have done.
0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 373 of 540

Go to solution

@SeanDThe bigger problem for most I think Sean is the reduction in channels & therefore content. Had there been the Main event channel for football with the Extra channel used for say cricket and/or F1 or golf similar to what we had with SS1 & SS2 I don't thnik you'd have seen so much anger of the price increase.

The reduction to only one effective channel means the price increase is very steep & many people just won't be able to watch what they want to and were able to do so previously.

To suggest it's all down to Sky's wholesale prices does make one wonder how other providers are still able to offer more channels for the same or less - are they all offering them at a loss? And if so, would it not make sense for BT to do the same. Unless of course BT wants to wind down it's Sky Sports service?

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 374 of 540

Go to solution

I cant remember the last time I bought a DVD. I did buy 3 Bluray DVDs when I got my Bluray DVD player over 5 years ago and I dont think I have bought any Bluray DVDs since.

I did buy some CDs last year mostly country music CDs from Amazon and from a recored and DVD fayre they had in town. That was the first I had bought any CDs in well over 2 years.

45% of my movie and TV viewing in the last 2 years is now via Netflix. I still record shows from time to time using the Youview + box and use series recored at times. Also 75% of my TV viewing in the last 2 years or so now tends to be HD. I also use catch up players at times as well. More so in the last 18 months.

70% of my music listening in the last 16 months has been via Spotiffy Premium.

For the likes of Sky to still charge extra for HD content on all its packages is a joke at lest BT include HD conetent with its Entertanment Max and Total Entertanment packages.

Darren

0 Ratings
PBS83
Aspiring Expert
Message 375 of 540

Go to solution

@LesC wrote:

@SeanDThe bigger problem for most I think Sean is the reduction in channels & therefore content. Had there been the Main event channel for football with the Extra channel used for say cricket and/or F1 or golf similar to what we had with SS1 & SS2 I don't thnik you'd have seen so much anger of the price increase.

The reduction to only one effective channel means the price increase is very steep & many people just won't be able to watch what they want to and were able to do so previously.

To suggest it's all down to Sky's wholesale prices does make one wonder how other providers are still able to offer more channels for the same or less - are they all offering them at a loss? And if so, would it not make sense for BT to do the same. Unless of course BT wants to wind down it's Sky Sports service?

In a nutshell - yes. The same way BT were selling them at a loss previously. The wholesale price is affected by how much Sky charge their own customers so every time their own sports package price goes up, it has a direct knock-on effect to the wholesale price. The good thing at the moment is that Sky have frozen that price for at least 12 months.

BT, and any other provider, can retail the channels at whatever price they choose (e.g. BT's previous price for SS1&2) but they must still pay the same fee to Sky irrespective of what they charge their own customers.

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 376 of 540

Go to solution

I guess the bottom line is this, BT continue subsidising Sky Sports and recoup the money by putting up the price of BT Sports. Which would you prefer?

0 Ratings
PBS83
Aspiring Expert
Message 377 of 540

Go to solution

@Hunter2660 wrote:

I guess the bottom line is this, BT continue subsidising Sky Sports and recoup the money by putting up the price of BT Sports. Which would you prefer?

Personally, I would be more concerned about BT ever outspending Sky on Premier League rights because that's when the cost of BT Sport would go up. BT got four more games per season, at a cost of £320m per season, in the previous tender for around 18% more than they were paying for the three years previously. Compare that to Sky's 83% cost increase, seeing them pay £1,392 billion per season and the costs become clear.

At the moment, BT have a good product and it would be a shame to dampen that by taking Sky on for the biggest matches because it would have a knock-on effect on all of their customers, not just those who like BT Sport.

0 Ratings
Adam80
Beginner
Message 378 of 540

Go to solution
Am I missing something here? I've just cancelled over the phone and after first of all been told that we r getting exactly the same content. I was then asked if I have thought about getting now TV! ???
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 379 of 540

Go to solution

So sky has lost the pga golf to BBC and BT are rumoured to take the masters golf.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 380 of 540

Go to solution

Thats good news if the BBC are to get the PGA for I do occasionally watch the golf. Do also hope that the rumors are true and that BT get the Masters golf. Im also all for some sport being FTA.

Darren

0 Ratings