cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarethW
Expert
Message 31 of 60

Re: So who has cancelled their BT vision sub?

Go to solution

It gets better: I rang to cancel my Essentials package on YouView today, only to be told by the agent that my box would no longer record etc., etc. I decided, before the call, that it was hardly worth arguing about it on the phone and just said, "OK" (safe in the knowledge that my box would still work, and being the only reason I took out the subscription in the first place.)

I've just had an Email from BT saying that I need to send them my box back! Well, save yourselves the postage, BT, as that return bag is going straight in the bin.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 60

Go to solution
Are you outside your contract period?
If so these envelopes are for recycling purposes.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 60

Go to solution

I believe more in reuse rather than recycling. Mine will end up on eBay when the wife finally finishes watching her Eastenders and Holby stash she has on there.

0 Ratings
GarethW
Expert
Message 34 of 60

Go to solution
I am out of contract. They emailed again today to tell me to send it back as they haven't received it. It also mentions that they'll ring me.

Hopeless.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 60

Go to solution
if out of contract box is yours and you are not obliged to return it to BT
0 Ratings
miket101
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 60

Go to solution

Just to add my 2 cents worth here as I've had the same issues. Here is my forum link to an interesting thread I started on the Youiew support page. Youview Thread.

There is a bigger picture to see in all of this other than BT are misleading there out of contract customers.

When you are out of youview contract BT will still take the £5 a month fee for 'BT Vision Essentials' until you physically cancel the package yourself. This is known as a rolling contract. It will take 30 days notice to cancel this package.To this day Not one BT staff member has yet to provide me with a explanation of what this charge serves out of contract. So far I have been given a lot of misinformation regarding this fee. 

Quote from the BT care team when I asked what this £5 package service offers me.

"The 'BT Vision Essential' package offers you the chance to 'Pause,Rewind, Stop and Record' Live TV. It also allows you to avail of 'Catch-up' TV as well as access to BBC I-player. "

We all know this to be false information. So basically BT are charging there out of contract youview essentials package customers £5 for a totally free service. They refuse to refund any money when out of contract and insist you must give 30 days notice.

Here's what they sent me when I cancelled. 

Your service is stopping. This may be because your line's being disconnected, you're moving to a different provider or there's a terms of service issue.

If we don't hear from you by midday on 06 Nov 2013, these services will stop later that day:

• BT TV

And these services will also stop:

• BT Vision Essential
  • BT Vision - PVR
  • BT Vision PVR
  • BT Vision - PPV
  • BT Vision Default - PPV
A note about your bill

If you're stopping all your BT services, we'll send you a final bill within 14 days of you telling us. If you've still got some BT services, such as a rented phone, you'll carry on getting bills as usual for these.

Your 30 day rental liability charge

As we say in our terms and conditions, we need 30 days' notice to stop your BT services - so you'll need to pay for them for 30 days from the date you asked us to stop them. For more information about the 30 day notice period, go to bt.com/terms

We can't refund your line rental

If you've paid £141 in advance for 12 months' line rental, we can't refund this as it was a special discount for paying up front.

Need some help?

Go to www.bt.com/help

Once again, we're sorry you're leaving us.

Yours sincerely,

Libby Barr
Managing Director, BT Sales and Service

Please take note of the section where is says these services will stop.

Bt Vision Essential

Bt  Vision PVR

Bt Vision PPV

There is not a function to record from the BT Vision app (Bt Vision PVR) ? So this is false and none of the PVR functions will stop. The BT Vision PPV will still be active on a pay as you go format if you remain a BT broadband customer because that's the way the box is setup. So even if you cancel your essentials package you will still be able to use the BT app on a pay as you go format which is exactly the same as before. So BT have no right to charge people £5 out of contract for a totally free service let alone make you give 30 days notice. 

Bt are having difficulties grasping this concept as many other users have tried to explain and Youview support has also contact them over 4 weeks ago regarding misleading BT customers of the youview platform. I contacted Youview again yesterday regarding this matter and once again they have advised me they will contact BT and share exactly the same stance. I would like a mod to seriously look into this.

sirjamesp
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 60

Go to solution
It does seem a little like obtaining money under false pretences...
0 Ratings
duncansby
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 60

Go to solution

I phoned and cancelled today, and got an extremely pleasant and knowledgeable staff member.  He agreed that all the BT love for youview was for infinity customers, and unless you are using ondemand then no point in keeping the service going.  Yes I had to give 30 days notice but still feel I got a bargain priced youview box.

He was also clear that the youview box would continue to funtion as normal.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 60

Go to solution

Well I believe the Essential Package  on Youview gives you - Essential On Demand + access to catch up TV  (that is how it is described in BT tariff guide)

Clearly having a BT TV package on Youview also potentially  gives you other benefits -- eg  BT Sports IPTV channels  if you have infinity  and Youview catchup/on demand  not counting to your broadnand usage.

Whether you consider those benefits and the (Essential On Demand)  worth £5/month is a personal decision. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 60

Go to solution

Sorry if this sounds a bit pedantic, but using phrases like 'out of contract' or 'contract ended' or 'contract renewal' can I think be misleading. I appreciate BT reps also use these phrases which doesn't help.  

The normal way that BT broadband/TV contracts work is that they are open ended but with a minimum term. So if you signed up to a BTTV Youview box contract over 12 months ago the contract is still in place, BT are still providing the service, and you are still paying BT each month. The difference now is that you are free to cancel the contract without charges if you so wish after giving the standard 30 days notice.

Regarding the additional Youview services that BT are providing if you are on the TV Essential £5 package. I don't have a Youview box (so please correct me if I'm wrong) but I would have thought it was the following.

• Access to the BT Vision Player PPV content. (so you can then pay them more money Smiley LOL)
  • The ability to add the free BT Sport live channels and catch-up. (very handy for sports fans with Infinity)
  • All Youview data usage not counting towards any monthly limit.  (very useful for some customers)

If you are on TV Essential Extra then as well as the extra live channels it also gives you access to some additional catch-up TV related to those extra channels.

Is it worth £5 (or £7) now that you own the box? That's up to you, but if you don't think so then give the 30 days notice and cancel your contract, or negotiate a new contract.

I very much agree that BT sales/support giving out incorrect information about the core catch-up and PVR functionality being disabled seems totally unacceptable.