cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Some queries about joining BT TV

Hi all,

I’m thinking about joining BT TV as Sky couldn’t make me a worthwhile offer to stay. I have some specific questions about my use cases for TV and unfortunately BT doesn’t make that info easy to find. I’d like to try and replicate the setup I had with Sky as much as possible.

I’m currently with BT for broadband and BT Sport and get speeds of around 65/70 mbs. 

1. Is it possible to have 2 BT boxes capable of recording? The image of the Extra Box on the ordering page seems to show an extremely old model that can’t record? I’m assuming there’s no way to have 2 Pro boxes in 1 home but is a Pro box in the living room and a recordable box (HD or 4K) upstairs possible?

2. Do all BT TV boxes have to be wired directly into the BT Hub itself or could a second box be wired into an upstairs BT mesh unit?

3.  Since all Sky Sports content in through NOW TV does this mean it cannot be recorded? 

4. Sky Sports on mobile is accessed through the NOW TV app and not as channels on the BT TV app?

5. I’ve read a few threads on it from a couple of years ago but am I right in assuming Nest/Google WiFi still doesn’t work with BT TV as of 2021? I’m assuming BT’s discs work ok since they’re made by BT and I’d have to replace my existing hardware with them if I wanted to keep running a mesh network?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Some queries about joining BT TV

To answer some of your questions 

1) I don’t see why not, however I went down the extra mini box route. I bought it on eBay, so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with a recordable box.

2) yes, they currently have to be hard wired via RJ45 cable. Mini adapters are available from BT 

3) if you subscribe using one of the sports packages you can record Sky Sports

4) Sky Sports are available on channels 440 and above

5) Don’t know I’m afraid 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Some queries about joining BT TV

You can have two boxes in your home but if you want to record the now TV channels on both boxes you will have to take out an extra multi room fee from BT. You can use one box for recording BT channels other box as a Freeview pvr. You can watch  Now on a second box via the Now app if you dont take multi room from BT.

You dont have to buy the BT mini adapters they are just recommended as they are from BT. I have been using TP Link pass though 300 ones for a few years now for the box in living room.

Your broadband speed seems fine for BT TV/Now and the HD add on if you want that as well.

Darren

0 Ratings