cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swaddie-72
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Sony Christmas Movies

Why is it not possible to view Sony Christmas Movies on Freeview on BT TV? I am based in the Midlands and connect to the Birmingham transmitter, Sky can show it but not BT.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Sony Christmas Movies

Hi @Swaddie-72 

Freeview channels depend upon your location , the transmitter you receive your signal from and the quality/strength of the signal you receive.

Sony Movies Christmas (channel 50)  is transmitted on Freeview Local mux which typically will be transmitted at lower power levels.  So if you receive a local station on channel 7 or 8 you should receive Sony Movies Christmas.

0 Ratings
Swaddie-72
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Receive from Birmingham transmitter, used to receive from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter but this was changed for some reason. I have tried channels 7 & 8 and do not receive anything. We actually live in the East Midlands but have to connect to the Birmingham transmitter, even have to listen to the West Midlands news rather than the East Midlands News.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

Sky is a completely different transmission system to Freeview... It's a bit like asking why can't my petrol car run on diesel or visa versa

0 Ratings
Swaddie-72
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Hi Nigel a bit of a sarcastic reply of course I know about Sky being a Satellite system and freeview using our aerial, not sure about the need to compare petrol and diesel cars. All I wanted to know is are BT goung to provide the Sony Christmas Movies or know of a way of receiving it.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

A quick Google search will tell you that it's on Freeview Channel 50 if it's available in your area

0 Ratings
Shyboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Have you tried  "retune  channels" on your BT box? I also live in the East Mids and if I  retune I'm asked for a preferred region and given the choice of West Mids, East Mids or Lincolnshire.  Picking East Mids will give you Channel 50 and obviously the East Mids news programmes.

0 Ratings
Swaddie-72
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Hi Shyboy I have retuned the channels on the BT box, unfortunately we live on the edge of the East Midlands and cannot pick up their transmitters so have to tune to the Birmingham transmitter. Not sure why the Birmingham transmitter does not show Channel 50, we can see the other two Sony Movies Channels. Must be some sort of selective viewing policy.

Thanks for you reply.

0 Ratings
Shyboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Hi Swaddie - I also  live in the East Mids, but within 5 or 6 miles of the  Warwickshire border. As an earlier poster said channel 50 broadcasts on the same frequency as Channel 7, which is Notts tv in the East Mids, so if you can't receive Channel 7 you won't be able to pick up Channel 50.

I presume your aerial is pointing at the Sutton Coldfield,(West Mids) transmitter  and there is no listing for Channel 7 or 50 on the freeview website for that transmitter .

I'm not an expert but I think your only option is to contact an aerial installer in to see if your aerial  can be adjusted to pick up the Waltham (East Mids) transmitter.

0 Ratings
Swaddie-72
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

BT installed the aerial set it pointing to the Birmingham transmitter, not sure if we can connect to the Waltham transmitter. We used to pick the Sutton Coldfield transmitter and could receive all of the Sony Movie channels but but for some reason that was changed to Birmingham so we could no longer receive them.

Perhaps should set up a freesat box and if that works do away with BT tv once the contract is up.

0 Ratings