Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Sound cutting out with new BT TV box

Go to solution
I've recently installed a new BT You View box and a new hub and ever since, the sound cuts out on any tv channel. It's particularly bad when the tv is first switched on with almost no sound at all. I've contacted Live Chat and carried out a factory reset on the box, to no avail. I didn't have this issue with old tv box and hub.
Any ideas?!
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Message 2 of 14

Re: Sound cutting out with new BT TV box

Go to solution

Hi @Gusfinknottle sorry you are having a fault with the sound on your new Youview box. 

Please send us over your details by clicking on my profile and selecting the contact the mods option. We will be happy to help get this fixed for you.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Gusfinknottle,

Thank you for sending in your details. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the sound on BT TV.

Normally this can indicate an issue the the HDMI cable.

If you have one to hand, please try connecting your set top box to the TV with a different HDMI cable. If your TV has more than one HDMI socket, try connecting with the other socket and see if the problem is still apparent?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
Unfortunately, I don't have another HDMI cable and there's only one HDMI port on the bt tv box. I tried removing and reconnecting it which causes the tv picture to constantly flicker/grey out/break up and no sound. The only way to restore it is to switch the box off (not stand by) and restart it. Picture comes back but sound continues to cut out intermittently. If it's a problem with the HDMI cable, why does it gradually improve as the tv box warms up? Also, it's the same cable and tv used with my old tv box which didn't have this issue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Gusfinknottle,

Thank you for posting back. I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today.

I agree with you, it does sounds like it could be the box that is faulty. I've arranged to send you a replacement box free of charge. Once you've received the box, please post back and let me know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
Hi Paddy, new box has arrived and plugged in, problem remains, sound cutting out possibly worse than before. Starting to wish I hadn't changed to a new tv box. Could it be anything to do with switching to super fast broadband at the same time?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

You might like to try changing the HDMI output resolution settings on the BT YouView box to make it more compatible with your TV. It could be simply a timing issue, which can alter as the TV set warms up.

Progressive (p) setting tend to push the bandwidth limits on some TV sets, so try Interlaced (i) options instead.

I used to have an older TV which kept losing sound and vision if the YouView box was set to 1080I, but was fine on 1080p.

I also think there are a couple of 720 line resolutions you could try as well.

If reducing the resolution fixes the problem, then the problem is your TV set.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
Thank you! Thats fixed it! Can now watch tv normally again without subtitles!
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Gusfinknottle wrote:
Thank you! Thats fixed it! Can now watch tv normally again without subtitles!

Excellent Smiley Happy

Its pity that the BT helpdesk are not aware of this type of issue, it would save a lot of wasted time and frustration.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Gusfinknottle,

I'm happy to hear that @Keith_Beddoe's useful post has worked for you Smiley Happy I know that Paddy will be happy too. I'll be sharing that tip.

DanielS

0 Ratings