cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Sound drop out

The sound drops completely for just 2 seconds at a time but does it several times in a programme. Picture doesn’t freeze. Had 2 BT engineers and 2 Tv boxes in 2 weeks but the problem remains. Engineers don’t know what the problem is. Fibre speed is 140mb. Grateful for any advice. Thank you.
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Sound drop out

Hi @SMW Sorry you are having a problem with the sound on BTTV. As you are getting 140mb you are on Fibre To The Premises (FTTP). Do you know if the engineers that visited were broadband engineers or BTTV (Qube) engineers? It could be a fault with your broadband service that is causing the problem with the BTTV.

Cheers
John 

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks John. This has gone on for 2 months now since we moved to BT and we are stuck with them due to the FttP box. We have had a Qube and a BT engineer, 2 weeks running. They have reset everything, changed cables and replaced the router and tv box. Our speed is high enough but the sound continues to drop. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks
Sharon
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

@SMW 

What have you set the HDMI output resolution to, on the BT YouViewbox?

cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

This is an ongoing problem with programs over the internet. It would seem to be a BT transmission or Youview box problem and is not related to the BT Hub as it also occurs when using a third party router. As many have found the only way to overcome this issue is to momentarily pause then replay the program you are watching. It is about time it was rectified as it has been ongoing and reported here for months now.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Sound can be lost if there is a timing issue between the BT YouView box, and the TV. This can often be fixed by dropping the output resolution to 1080i.

@SMW  has not said whether this affects just Internet delivered channels, or FreeView as well.

SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Hi everyone
Thanks for the helpful comments.
The sound drop issue affects both internet and Freeview channels. I’m not technical but it happens on Emmerdale as well as BT Sport so I think that’s right.
I just spoke to BT again and a TV engineer is coming out tomorrow.
That will be 3 engineers in 2 weeks.
Fingers crossed!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

@SMW 

In that case, its more likely to be a compatibility issue between the BT YouView box, and the TV.

I had a similar issue with my old TV.

Can you please check what the HDMI resolution is set to, on the BT YouView box, its on the settings menu. under the 'TV Signal & Quality' section where the bottom but one option is 'HDMI Display Settings'  It will be one of these values.720p, 1080i, 1080p

Is the BT YouView box directly connected to the TV using a HDMI cable, or does it go via another device?

0 Ratings
SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

We were on 1080i so we’ve changed to 1080p as per the advice below.
0 Ratings
SMW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Just checked and we were on 1080i so we are trying 1080p. No idea what the difference is. The You View box is directly connected to the tv with a HDMI cable.
0 Ratings