cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barneys
Contributor
Message 91 of 135

Re: Sound loss after fast forward

This is an on going issue that is been apparent for many months and is still being investigated by BT. Although not a fix by any means a temporary get round that many people have found helps is to use 'skip' rather than 'fast forward' usually not sound loss occurs when you use this to skip through ads Etc. Hopefully BT will eventually come up with a permanent fix for this problem.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 92 of 135

But be aware the Skip has its own issue were it often throws you back to some random earlier point for an active internet channel recording.
0 Ratings
RockyRobin
Message 93 of 135

This problem is far from cured they replaced my box less than a month ago and lasted updates applied !

The problem occurs not everytime it seems to have its own mind but for me mostly after having used pause and fast forward... I've just about done with BT and there failure to supply under contract...They were a nightmare getting phone line up and running then even more hassle for them to get my broadband working i had no line for 3 weeks having given them 3 weeks notice i was moving ! Property had previously been BT served...Now with all this hassle i feel its time to leave them to there own problems i don't have time in my life to fix there problems. 

It's aggravation i did'nt ask for and they are charging the most for there BB and line charges but giving awful service...

I shall be leaving them for good !

0 Ratings
Frankrh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 94 of 135

Another bug discovered along similar lines.  Watching F1 on All 4 and after a commercial break sound may disappear when the program resumes. This doesn’t happen every time but when it does the only way to get sound back is to exit All 4, turn the box to standby via the remote and then turning it back on, going back into All4 and resuming the programme. Another observation was that when sound is lost and you exit All4 it is not possible to receive the HD channels B1,B2,ITV,C4 and C5 by selecting them directly or from the TV guide unless you switch to standby via the remote. I didn’t try the Internet HD channels.

My original posting about sound loss after FF involved having to physically switch the box off using the rear switch. I believe that this is still an issue but I don’t know about other users, I do not have the time to continually experiment in order to attempt to resolve these issues. I pay for a reliable service which is not happening. I should add that if All4 is watched using my TV not the You View box I don’t get the issue. 

Problems such as these are really trying my patience with BT!

0 Ratings
zippy3
Beginner
Message 95 of 135

For what its worth i only started to get this problem when i started to subscribe to and record the extra hd channels such as scifi. As others have said using the skip button instead of the ff seems to not cause the problem i suspect because the sound stays on

0 Ratings
C_Chadders
Beginner
Message 96 of 135

It’s been a problem for 18 months at least. Very simply if you try to FF recorded BT HD channels you lose sound. Work around is to skip. Every so often some volunteer from BT appears and acts as if they’ve never heard of the problem before or more comically that they “didn’t realise it was still an issue/thought it had been solved” (clearly the resolution strategy is to hope it goes away) and when it’s re-explained for the umpteenth time that it’s still an issue they quietly disappear. Why an issue as fundamental as this is only important enough for volunteers to deal with I don’t know. It’s a major defect in a service generating hundreds of millions in revene. This should be top of the in try for BT tmrw.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 97 of 135

It is has been an issue ever since FF was introduced for internet recordings (remember it was not originally possible). That should make it very easy to find the bug as it will likely be in the new code introduced to add this feature. Or it may be in a common subroutine that was not expecting to be called from this new code handling internet recordings.  Given the intermittent nature of it happening I suspect it is down to some sloppy memory handling.

0 Ratings
justracing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 98 of 135

I'm a new user to BT and have only had the box and internet services for 3 weeks during which time this problem has occured some 10 times or more. I have complete loss of sound on all channels after fast forwarding a recording and the only solution to restore the sound is to reset the box. Absolutely infuriating. Going to see if I can cancel my contract.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
newbluesfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 99 of 135

Okay, so a new Youview box DID sort out this ff sound loss for me.  Then, errr I upgraded to a UHD box and back came some of the ff gremlins again.

It’s not quite the same as before. This time it only happens occasionally, rather than every time with the older Youview box. Also a full power down/up reset is not required, as a STOP : BACK to get out of the recording : RESUME PLAY of the recording, is enough to bring the sound back.

0 Ratings
justracing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 135

Thanks for the reply, BT are sending a new Youview box so fingers crossed
0 Ratings