Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 121 of 154

Re: Sound loss after fast forward

Hi @seniorcitizen,

Yes, the issue regarding erratic behaviour during skip forward/back is being investigated.

Regarding the connection to the internet being required for IP channel recording playback, this is due to the encryption of the video stream.

When you live tune to an IP channel, the set-top box joins the multicast stream and obtains the decryption key in parallel as it has to decrypt the video to render on the screen in real-time.

- When you record an IP channel, the set-top box simply joins the multicast stream and records it straight to disk without decrypting it. On every playback of an IP channel recording, the set-top box needs to obtain the decryption key from our platform to decrypt the content and render on screen. This is why an internet connection is required to play back an IP channel recording.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gavin

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 122 of 154

Yes, the issue regarding erratic behaviour during skip forward/back is being investigated.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but my impression is that this only ever starts happening after both the record point and the play point have gone past an hour (eg 1:30 into an active recording of currently 1:45).  Which is possibly why it has not been commented on by more people as they tend to only watch programmes of one hour or less?

0 Ratings
seniorcitizen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 123 of 154

Hi Gavin,

Many thanks for your helpful explanation. I can understand now why IP channels can suffer from the sound loss problem which doesn't apply to Freeview channels.

Regards

0 Ratings
merc07
Contributor
Message 124 of 154

Would this update also fix my sound loss after channel hopping or is this something completely different and unrelated ?
Thanks
0 Ratings
seniorcitizen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 125 of 154

Dear Gavin,

Further to your message number 119 of 28-01-2019,  I thought I should report that I suffered a complete loss of sound last night after doing a  REW (beacuse the backwards skip is only 15 seconds!) whilst watching a recording of the Liverpool/Leicester game on BT Sport.  Although this post only refers Sound loss after "fast forward" ,  I note that others have mentioned the same problem when doing a fast re-wind, so hopefully when testing your new "fix" you will ensure it works on re-winds as well.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Newelly
Message 126 of 154

I too have loss of sound when fast forwarding, it happened when I was watching a HD recording of Newcastle v Man City.
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 127 of 154

Hi @seniorcitizen, we've tested the fix (including fast forward and rewind) and it looks good. 

Will let you know when it's scheduled for release.

Thanks

Gavin

seniorcitizen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 128 of 154

Hi Gavin,

That's great news. Look forward to the release date. Any chance you could explain in layman's terms vwhat was causing the problem?.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
merc07
Contributor
Message 129 of 154

Turned my TV on yesterday - no sound and it didn't matter what I did this time it won't come back so maybe I have another fault - time to throw the 6 week old you view box in the bin.
You tube works fine from the TV so no issue there....
0 Ratings
C_Chadders
Beginner
Message 130 of 154

Good job Gavin/BT... I was queitly confident that once this problem was investigated it would be quickly solved. 

0 Ratings