Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric_cranston
Beginner
Message 71 of 93

Re: Sound loss after fast forward

Hi Darren,

I don't mind; 

During playback of your recording, you watched the recording as normal, fast forwarding only the adverts?

YES that's correct.

Were you fastforwarding at x30?

YES that's correct.

Is it always the same part of the recording which loses sound?

NO, I have gone back/forth to different places and it's lost sound.

Can you rewind to the same point and notice no sound?

NO it's not the same point all the time.

Or can you rewind to the same point and the sound is suddenly there this time?

The sound NEVER returns.

Once gone, it's gone. And that goes for the recording and live TV. One thing I have not tested is the BT app or other apps when the sound has gone, which I will report back on when I get the issue again. It is like the box drops all the audio PID's and it never recovers from this until the box is rebooted.  Like I said in my first post the bottom banner either seems to freeze whilst fast forwarding, or sometimes it doesn't appear at all, then I know once I stop FF I will not get sound.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 72 of 93

Thanks @eric_cranston

Big help Smiley Happy

So you have also experienced losing sound FF'ding live TV once you've had it paused for a while?

Have you tried a replacement HDMI cable?

Have you tried an alternate HDMI port?

BT TV ExpertDarrenW
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
eric_cranston
Beginner
Message 73 of 93

I have not tried pausing live TV for a while, but I will do.

I have not tried a different HDMI cable. It is a HDMI 2.0 high quality one though.

I have not tried a different HDMI port direct to my TV, but I have connected the box directly to my Home Cinema, and that is connected to my TV via a different HDMI port and I have the same issue.

I have not tried SPDIF which I will at some point.

Mark

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 74 of 93

@DarrenWwrote:

@gomezz, what TV did you have? And if you are connected to a sound system, can you replicate the same problem directly via HDMI? 

My set up is that the Youview box is connected to a Samsung TV set using HDMI via a combined HDMI/SPDIF switch.  An optical lead connects the Youview box via the same switch to my old Denon AV amp (only a single SPDIF input hence the use of a switch).

Once the sound goes it goes over all  connections:  SPDIF through the AV amp; HDMI through the TV; RCA through my hi-fi amp.  And this is globally, for live TV and other recordings not just the one being played at the time.  Only a reboot restores the sound output.

My current T2100 box is a replacement for a T1000 that died but that was ages ago well before the software update that added FF/REW to internet recordings which is when it became a problem.  I suggest looking at the code changes maded for that to help find the bug.

0 Ratings
eric_cranston
Beginner
Message 75 of 93

I have connected a SPDIF optical lead directly from the STB to my AV amp, and kept the HDMI connection to my TV. So when the issue happens again I can see if I lose sound from both connections or just one. I will report back once this happens.

My set up hasn’t changed since November 2016 and I started getting the issue about 5 months or so ago. So something has changed on the source. Either the decoders or a bug has been introduced in the STB software. (Or both).
0 Ratings
seniorcitizen
Beginner
Message 76 of 93

Dear Darren,

Further to my post of 26-06-2018, I'm so disappointed to have to report that the sound loss problem has returned on my DTRT2100 Youview Box. After so many days of fast forwarding recorded football matches on the 2 Freeview (sorry wrongly said Freesat in my last post) channels BBC1 & ITV without any issues, I decided yesterday to re-check the position on a BT Sport 3 HD programme recorded after the latest software update. I fast forwarded the programme at x30 for 50 minutes and then pressed play. All sound from the BT Youview box had disappeared, both on live and recorded programmes on both Freeview and Internet channels. I decided to leave the box on standby overnight rather than do an immediate re-boot and when I turned it on this morning the sound had returned. This had happened on a previous occasion but not every time. It is if the effect of FF is to cause the sound to be so way out of sync with the picture that several hours are required for the sound to recover, although as I said above this  does not always happen. I then decided to re-wind the recorded BT3 Sports programme back to the beginning for 50 minutes at x30 and this time there was no loss of sound. So I then fast forwarded the programme again for 50 minutes at x30 and as before the sound on the Youview box totally disappeared.

I would ask all followers of this particular subject who thought the issue had been resolved by the latest software update to do a similar test themselves and report back, so that if my result is replicated it will put pressure on BT to get the matter properly fixed.

0 Ratings
eric_cranston
Beginner
Message 77 of 93

Just a quick update. I have not so far been able to replicate the issue. I will keep trying and I will post once it happens again.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 78 of 93

Just to be clear: This is only an issue for FF/REW of recordings from internet channels such as BT Sport etc. It has never happened on the Freeview / DTT broadcast channels such as BBC and ITV.
0 Ratings
barneys
Contributor
Message 79 of 93

I have been using an Ultra HD box for over a week now. It was supplied as a replacement for my standard box that had this issue. So far I have not had any problem with sound loss after using Fast Forward on Internet channels. I watch virtually all my TV programmes as recordings and have used fast forward extensively. So it does look as the issue is specific to the standard definition box.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 80 of 93

Interesting point. Has anyone experienced this problem on a UHD box in the past?
0 Ratings