cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric_cranston
Beginner
Message 81 of 93

Re: Sound loss after fast forward

I have now been able to re-create the sound problem again. It drops the sound on the SP/DIF and HDMI connections, and only a reboot brings it back.

0 Ratings
C_Chadders
Beginner
Message 82 of 93

Anyone else got the feeling its Groundhog Day? A year ago this thread appeared with people complaining that they were experiencing sound loss when “FF” HD broadband channel recordings, the workaround was to “Skip” and the solution was to reboot. BT asked us all to jump through hoops testing and reporting all manner of things related to HDMI set ups and the like, to most minds all somewhat avoiding the white elephant in the room that there is a technical problem with the box. Then the thread goes quiet for a year. Then some expert from BT jumps on and says “haven’t heard anything for a while so we assume this is fixed”. You couldn’t make it up! Obviously, BT, it went quiet because you did naff all and no, it hasn’t magically fixed itself… And now we’re cycling back to testing and reporting exactly what we all told you a year ago – its ALL in the thread. Bottom line; there is an unfixed software related sound issue with the box and BT’s solution is to treat us like fools. Fantastic. What a privilege it is to be a BT customer…

BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 83 of 93

@C_Chadders,

We aren't treating you like fools trust me, we are here to help. There was a mix-up previously thinking this was fixed and we are back with a fresh pair of eyes.

We are looking to visit a customer premises from this thread close to us for further testing as we have been unable to replicate this issue in our test labs.

I will update once we have more.

BT TV ExpertDarrenW
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 84 of 93

How long are the recordings that you have been testing on? I suggest one of the long multi-hour live sport coverage programmes on Eurosport.

How long are you letting FF run before pressing Play again? I suggest an hour.

How fast are you running FF at? I suggest pressing FF to the max then pressing it a few more times.

Repeat the above more than once. I would be gobsmacked if you could not hit sound zero!

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 85 of 93

Personally speaking I've never tried to tell a YouView or BT Test Engineering team how to do their job. Guess it takes all sorts. But its good they are going to pay a customer a home visit. 

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 86 of 93

@gomezz

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have tried all of those but one.

-When using FF I have been using x30 speed and then hammering FF key presses after that.

-I have used FF for more than 1 hour and resumed playback

-I FF to the end of the recording and rewind all the way back to the start, FF x30 again

-I tried FF x30 then pausing and leaving for 5 minutes and going straight back into FF x30 and resuming playback

The recordings I have tried have not been longer than 3 hours, I have Tour De France on Eurosport recording today which is 6 hours long and will complete testing afterwards.

BT TV ExpertDarrenW
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 87 of 93

A three hour recording should be plenty.  Given what you say I am wondering about what difference in set up and connection there may be between you as an employee and a regular customer.  For example, do you have FTTP / FTTH rather than the more common FTTC?

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 88 of 93

@Keyinfernowrote:

Personally speaking I've never tried to tell a YouView or BT Test Engineering team how to do their job

I know from experience in my former career as a software engineer that sometimes you make the most obvious of wrong assumptions about a customer's problem and the penny only drops when you ask them to show you what they are doing step by step.

0 Ratings
newbluesfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 89 of 93

New box good, old box bad!

Yes problem solved with new Youview box.
0 Ratings
carldrew
Message 90 of 93

Hi, we to are also having this issue.  It occurred last night for the first time.  We were watching a programme and skipped through the ads, I skipped a little too far and REW only to find there was no sound.  I tried everything to get it back and must have spend about 40 minutes playing with all the settings.  I then switched everything off at the wall and the sound returned.  I put it down to a one off quirk.  Tonight I am watching the second episode of the same programme I was watching last night.  Again I skipped through the adverts.  This time I hadn't gone far enough and FF to then find the same issue, complete loss of sound.  It never comes back, not on live TV or recordings.  I am now about to power off at the wall again but out of interest I had a quick Google and came across the post in this forum.  I can confirm it is definitely still an issue and I have up to date software as that's something I checked.  I have been a BT customer since just before Christmas so I assume I have a relatively new box as well.

0 Ratings