Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keeganland
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Sport UHD and broadband extenders

Hope someone can assist with the following:

First, I rang BT to cancel an engineers installation for BT TV (with BT Sport UHD), so I could do a self installation, due to the fact that I was told on the online chat that the engineer would not be able to drill through a brick wall to pass the required ethernet cable through to my homehub. He then said 'have you considered broadband extenders', and I said I had, but didn't know if they would work. He said he could send one out to me (free of charge) and they would 'work fine with the UHD content'. After reading some comments on this board, and BT's own help pages, I am now a bit dubious as to whether they will or not work. Has anyone had broadband extenders work for them?  From what I understand, as long as the electric wireing can transfer at a speed that is faster than the data that is sent, there should'nt be an issue.

Secondly, IF they do work, would they work on the same electric network as a pair of tp-link powerline adaptors (used for Sky), or would they interfere with each other?

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Sport UHD and broadband extenders

Broadband extenders and powerline adaptors are the same thing. They're differnent names for the exact same technology.

If you have TP link ones working there's no reason the BT ones won't. 

I use PLAs for both my boxes in different rooms, including one BT UHD box. They work fine. 

keeganland
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Many thanks for replying.  That makes feel a lot better.  I was a little bit worried about the conflicting information, but if others like yourself are able to use the extenders, I should be fine.

Again, thank you for your help

0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

You're welcome.

There's no real reason why they should conflict as each device in a set is  paired to the corresponding one in the same set. 

My PLAs are two different brands, and they work fine - two are plugged into the double socket nearest the hub then the other half of each pair are behind my main TV and in my bedroom. They've been like that for 2-3 years and work fine 100% of the time. 

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

They do use the same frequencies, even if they do co-exist properly they will likely be fighting for the available bandwidth, if both are being used heavily at the same time.

PLA's work like wireless, for that reason BT won't guarantee they will work for you and your situation, nor should they. If they do work great for you Smiley Very Happy 

PLA's do often save a potential nightmare proper cabling job even if it is ultimately the best solution. Even Ethernet cabling is not 100% infallible.

0 Ratings