Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Surely this can't be true (Youview multi (well 2nd) room service

Go to solution

When the G4 box was initially launched I purchased one from BT and as a straight upgrade (and that has been a sound move as it is a better box)

A while later (but way before BTY Multi-room was offered) I installed my original BTHumax Youview box (supplied by BT when I switched from BTV) in an upstairs bedroom and it worked satisfactorily (including extra chans, on demand etc) The BTApp has also updated recently to the ''new look''.

Recently BT (who now offer multi-room) have detected two boxes and politely informed me I should nominate one box or take out multiroom ...... initially I nominated the G4 downstairs but since then decided I would go for the multi-room service.

Now the crunch ....... I have phoned the magic number provided on screen and been told the service can only be provided on dual G4 box set-ups and consequently I would have to by a third BTYouview box because multi-room will not work on the BTYHumax box initially provided when I moved over to Youview ......... so as well as the monthly fee I would have to pay £100 for a third box!!!

I asked him if he was sure as 100,000s of subscribers must have the older BTYHumax box and asked if they will have to by two G4 boxes and he said "Yes they will".

So I told the gentleman I would pass on the multi-room service while I gave it further consideration and stick with what I have.

So can someone tell me if this is actually true or a load of (what can I say) "verbal nonsense" as I need to make a final decision.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Surely this can't be true (Youview multi (well 2nd) room service

Go to solution

Don't BT over engineer things!

According to the help pages question 18 says:

18: Can I replace my old YouView+ box with the new model?

"Yes, it will cost £199 for the new YouView+ box if you're still in your initial contract period or £35 after this period. You'll then need to pay £99 for the Extra Box."

But question 17 says:

17: I have two YouView+ boxes from BT, can I benefit from Extra Box?

"Yes, if both boxes have been supplied by BT you can subscribe to Extra Box for £5 a month, to access BT TV services on both boxes."

So, the inference is that it works with any Youview boxes. Unless any one reads it differently?

Perhaps a Mod to clarify would help?

Stew

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

This does seem a poor decision that will hopefully be looked at and changed soon....Another 'zapper' box is due soon as per the CEO's comments this may make them look again at the proposition or at the very least offer a cheaper box option...

0 Ratings
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Overall it's a simple question which needs an answer, namely "Can you have multi-room using the BT G4 Youview box in one location and the BT Humax Youview box in the second location ?"

and if the answer is NO I would like to know "Why not?" because that worked when I tried it before BT offered a multi-room service ....... now they do I am being told I can't have that set-up  ... (rightly or wrongly)

So, I agree it would be nice if a Mod could bottom this out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi TrickyDicky,

If both the YouView boxes were supplied to you by BT and not through a 3rd party, then you should be able to subscribe to the extra box service for a monthly charge of £5.00. Both boxes do not need to be G4.

I am sorry to hear you have problems ordering the service. I'll be able to help you with your order. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

PaddyB,

Thanks for that offer,

Both boxes were supplied direct from BT

I have forwarded details to you via DM and email (as I missed the email requirement initially)

fingers crossed this end

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Brilliant,

I forked out £99 for another G4 box as I was unable to place an order just for the extra £5 per month, I was forced to order the additional box. Thanks BT!!!!!

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

how long ago did you buy the additional box, if you still have your original box, you could send it back as being mis-sold

overall the G4 is a lot faster and smaller footprint to the humax boxes

if you have the use for 3 boxes do they all work? or are you limited to just the 2?

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

It was several weeks ago that I ordered "multiroom". It was done online and there was no option for "I already have a BT supplied" box 😞

I wouldn't have minded so much if I was able to use the 3 boxes as I know it works fine with my d/l speed + AV500 PLAs ........ however, BT in their wisdom have limited multiroom to 2 boxes only.

This whole episode has turned my opinion of BT Vision from excellent to might have to consider Sky or Virgin now.

0 Ratings
TrickyDicky
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I was pressurised very hard to buy another G4 box but passed on that. Via mods here they agreed in the end it would work using a G4 BTYouview box and my original BTHumax Youview box (both supplied by BT) but they are still in the process of ''providing it''. I noticed pm Wed the internet chans had made it on to the TV Guide but the service wasn't activated. I called am today and they said the speed may be too slow so ''it's not over yet''. No matter what tester I use (including the BTone) I consistently get 46+M download and about 9/10M upload so I can't understand what they are on about ...... checked again about 2pm and it still isn't activated ............. I think I pressed the solved button too early!!!!  

0 Ratings