cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iamshaunyb
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Switching Youview Box on destroys freeview signal

SInce installing the youview box in my room I have found that switching it on completely kills the freeview signal. This behaviour only happens when the box is on, if the box is off or on standby my TV freeview receiver can pick up all channels with no problem or loss of signal. When switching the youview box on, signal will be lost on both my TV and the youview box. Am I the only person experiencing this or is this a common problem with people having to use these boxes especially with indoor aerials? I am reluctant to go to the shop and buy a more expensive aerial if the underlying issue is a box that essentially produces so much interference that it causes loss of signal.
I look forward to hear people's experiences of this.
Shaun
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Switching Youview Box on destroys freeview signal

So is your tv, arial lead connected to the Youview box which is then connected to the actual arial port in the wall?

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
Iamshaunyb
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

The set up is internal aerial into back of youview. Then the pass through from the back of the youview box into the TV.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

Double check there is no shorting between the signal wire and the braid both on the aerial feed cable and the patch cable.

0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

@Iamshaunyb wrote:
I am reluctant to go to the shop and buy a more expensive aerial if the underlying issue is a box that essentially produces so much interference that it causes loss of signal.

Have you enabled RF LOOP THROUGH in the YouView box's settings menu? 

Press the blue Y button, scroll to DEVICE MANAGEMENT and make sure it's on. If it's not, it won't share the signal with the TV.

0 Ratings
Iamshaunyb
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

There is none. These are brand new cables. The interference only occurs when the youview box is on. This is the only consistent element to interference. The box goes on and the signal drops. It's also worth noting that the only time I can get a small bit of signal is by moving the aerial very far away from the youview box. But this is a hit and miss game. When youview box is off or on standby there is no interference
I also, just for the sake of testing, put the aerial directly into the TV, freeview works fine on inbuilt unit, turn on youview, total signal loss. This has to be the box.
0 Ratings
Iamshaunyb
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

4kmarty - yes I have in response to your question 🙂
0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

But the YouView box works fine? You can watch the aerial channels OK via that? 

0 Ratings
Iamshaunyb
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

No.. as soon as youview box goes on, signal dies. I have to do a merry dance with the aerial to find signal. I find that in order for the aerial to find signal it cannot be in direct line of sight of the youview box, which again points to interference
0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

@Iamshaunyb wrote:
No.. as soon as youview box goes on, signal dies. I have to do a merry dance with the aerial to find signal. I find that in order for the aerial to find signal it cannot be in direct line of sight of the youview box, which again points to interference

It's an indoor aerial then? Is it possible to borrow one from someone? Or to buy a lowcost one to check what happens? Does your current one have some kind of booster? Is it a powered model? 

0 Ratings