Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
matt-h
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

TSG (Total Support Group) nightmare..... Look elsewhere and don't go through BT

Go to solution

My warning to all.... Don't bother with TSG, despite what BT say, they are a total shambles of a company and BT offer absolutely no help. BT's advice - "TSG are an independent company so here's their number, you call them". Strange as it's BT who books the initial engineer visit, it's also BT who take payment.

A month now this saga has been going on. I booked an Aerial engineer visit on the 14/7/17, booked through BT, they advised a TSG engineer will call with an appointment date and time, a week passed and nothing so I called TSG myself, apparently BT gave them my wrong phone number, not very believable but ok whatever. So an appointment was booked for the 4/8/17, I was told an engineer will call that morning to confirm a time slot, on the day I heard nothing, left it until 12:30 then I called them, I spoke to a very grumpy man who basically said "ugh, a BT booking is it", he then confirmed I was definitely booked in and he will get an engineer to call. I waited, and waited, it got to 5:50pm and still no call or sign of an engineer, so I called them again, I spoke to another thoroughly grumpy guy who said yes, you are still booked in and our engineers work up until it gets dark. Well it was a no show. I contacted BT to complain and they totally washed their hands of it, I constantly got told it's not our problem, they are a separate entity so you call them to re-book. I'm self employed, so that wasted day off on Friday had cost me money.

Monday morning despite my extreme annoyance at a wasted day I think ok, give TSG the benefit of doubt as problems do happen, so I call them as BT advised, all I get from TSG is an "Oh, that's strange, I'll re-book it for you and an engineer will call you with a date and time. Few hours pass and I do indeed get a call, but not from an engineer, instead from another department in TSG. A young lady who said she has a message up on her screen saying I had a failed appointment, which I confirmed. She apologised and promised she will get right onto it, told me they have an available slot for the next day (today 8/8/17) and could I be home, I said yes I'll take another day off if you promise this will go ahead, she assured me it would, told me I'm now booked with a different engineer called Alan who is very good, and he will definitely call me either Monday, or Tuesday morning on the day the visit was due to happen. It's now 3pm and yet again I've heard nothing. Another totally wasted day and lost earnings because of two extremely shoddy companies. BT and TSG, you are a disgrace.

My advice, don't bother. the £60 reduced price is just not worth it when TSG treat you like 2nd class and BT wash their hands of it and keep saying it's nothing to do with them. All very strange as BT took the booking and take payment.... Scammers the pair of you and I have a right mind to bill both of you for my lost earnings.

Avoid......Avoid like the Plague.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: TSG (Total Support Group) nightmare..... Look elsewhere and don't go through BT

Go to solution

Hello @matt-h

I'm really sorry for the issues you've had. I'd happily see if I can help if it's still not sorted for you. Please Private Message me your phone number or account number and I'll be in touch.

Kind regards, 

Martin.

BT TV ExpertMartin--W
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go Here for more info.
matt-h
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: TSG (Total Support Group) nightmare..... Look elsewhere and don't go through BT

Go to solution

Hi Martin,

No still not sorted I'm afraid, it would seem TSG want nothing to do with BT customers. After posting my message on here I contacted them yet again, only to be told the engineer isnt answering his phone, the lady I spoke to promised she will keep trying and call me back within the hour. Yet again more lies from TSG because I never got the call back. So to sum up, the £60 reduce price was a waste of time because it's cost me more than that in two wasted days off work, and I still don't have a working aerial. Arghhhhh.

If you'd like to try be my guest, that's more than the last BT employee I spoke to was willing to do so thank you, I'll pm you my number now.

Kind Regards,

Matt

0 Ratings
matt-h
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Just a quick one to say thanks very much Martin, you went above and beyond to help me and I really appreciate all you did, after you getting involved and contacting TSG's top guys on my behalf, I'm yet again one very happy customer.

To anybody else reading this post suffering similar problems, I was a little frustrated but TSG pulled through in the end and assured me this isnt their usual practice. The engineer that turned up was excellent, very professional and he did an excellent job. If anybody has similar problems, give Martin a shout before looking elsewhere, he's a top guy and he'll sort it for you straight away.

Finbar1
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

TSG are a nightmare and I will be contacting trading standards, ofgem or whatever authority deals with such crooks, I booked an istallation through BT, after missed appointments, promises and BT chasing them up they finally turned up at 7pm on a dark November night to install my aerial, I thought it strange that they were going to install an "outside wall mounted" aerial in the dark, but the wee cowboy recommended installing one in the loft as it gives a better service and there would be no chance of any wearher damage or whatever, As I know nothing about such technology I went along with it, I have had nothing but problems since, missing channels, interference etc. Tried contacting them on numerous occasions, after much buck passing they agreed to send out an engineer.......at a call out cost of £35, with further charges for fixing the fault, I have told them I have no intention of paying them to come and sort out their mess, they don't seem to bothered by the fact that I have paid for an "Outside" aerial and got a loft aerial that I could have probably installed myself.

0 Ratings
sea2dog
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
We booked through BT for the reduced price, TSG came and installed in the loft as it was a pre BT installed new build property, and so if I had have wanted a rooftop aerial I would have had to have gone elsewhere for an aerial installation, but anyway the guy installed the aerial in the loft and he left, didn't discuss anything regarding reception, so I noticed that many freeview channels were missing inc SkyNews, so I did a retune but that didn't help, so I called BT and they ordered up another TSG engineer visit, this time a different TSG guy arrived and he decided that although the previous aerial was technically better the one for a loft that he was about to install was better for loft installations.

So with previous aerial I'd get a max signal strength for BBC1 up to 62%, with this loft aerial I'm getting 90% occasionally 91%

Is 90% normal for signal strength for freeview channels using loft aerials?
0 Ratings
tonydidit
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Like many before me I can not stress enough that you should not take BTs advice and let Total support group anywhere near your property or TV equipment.On the recommendation of BT I paid them upfront and requested a suitable aerial fitting and to have it connected to my new BT set top box.They arrived when they said they would and began fitting the required aerial and fittings etc.The fitter told me it would be fine if not better if he could fit a wall mounted aerial on a pole and run a short cable to a connection in a old and existing Sky dish (I had ended my Sky subscription) to utilise the dish and cable for my new installation.Not knowing any better I took the advice from the supposed expert and said if thats what he recommends then that would do for me.He fitted the aerial and ran a six foot length of cable to my old Sky dish.From the dish he simply left the old twin cables from dish to back of the new set top box.Approx 2 years on and I have started to lose reception and not been able to get all the expected TV channels available.I called out a BT engineer who on arrival took one look at the back of my set top box and said the fitting of and the fittings used at the rear of the set top box were not standard and not upto BT standard and bodged to make them fit with the aid of some red insulating tape. He would not be prepared to work on the system untill a propper and compatible coaxial cable and input jax fittings were fitted and suitably compatible and he does not do aerials so I would have to get TSG to do a propper installation.Having paid once and having no more faith in TSG or BT I decided to get a local proffessional aerial installer out who has run a new coaxial cable to the set top box and added the correct and suitable fittings which has resulted in a 100% reception with all channels now available and working well.I contacted BT who told me it was not there problem I should contact TSG.This I did and guess what ? they are not interested and told me the original fitting and using the old Sky dish and cable was an acceptable practice.BTs stance is that as TSG were the original fitters then TSG should handle my complaint.TSG have said they will come and assess the site for £49.99 and carry out any further work or fitting at a further cost to me.My argument is that I paid BT upfront for initial fitting and supply of everything needed from aerial to set top box so surely my contract is with them ( BT) and not TSG ! Either way I would strongly recommend that any person considering getting BT products should think twice about what and who does the fitting,to what standard and who is responsible for faults or problems in the future.

@sea2dogwrote:
We booked through BT for the reduced price, TSG came and installed in the loft as it was a pre BT installed new build property, and so if I had have wanted a rooftop aerial I would have had to have gone elsewhere for an aerial installation, but anyway the guy installed the aerial in the loft and he left, didn't discuss anything regarding reception, so I noticed that many freeview channels were missing inc SkyNews, so I did a retune but that didn't help, so I called BT and they ordered up another TSG engineer visit, this time a different TSG guy arrived and he decided that although the previous aerial was technically better the one for a loft that he was about to install was better for loft installations.

So with previous aerial I'd get a max signal strength for BBC1 up to 62%, with this loft aerial I'm getting 90% occasionally 91%

@sea2dogwrote:

0 Ratings
sea2dog
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
@tonydidit

Your story seems very similar to mine. I had no confidence in the first TSG guy at all.
And yes, I think the same regarding payment, so always best to arrange new visits with BT.

What is your skynews channel 233 reception like and what signal strength do you get for the main 5 freeview channels like BBC1 HD etc?
0 Ratings
tonydidit
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi,now that I have had a decent aerial and fittings supplied all my channels are great.I have not as yet found any channels that are of a poor reception or I can not get.Still very disappointed with both BT and TSG who just were not interested in my problem.

0 Ratings