Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

TV Aerial Channels: 0

Go to solution

Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh

I am trying to set up my YouView box with a new (to me) TV but cannot find the channels on YouView.

I get the message:

Tuning complete

TV Aerial Channels: 0

Subscription Channels: 104

Hidden Channels: 53

I have tried restarting WiFi and the YouView box. The aerial is secure. I have retuned using HDMI @ 1 and 2. I have retuned the TV using the TV controls and the box using the YouView controls. I have retuned with YouView enabled and YouView disabled. The signal is fine and was working this morning on the other TV.

I can't check the signal quality as there are no channels. It says "signal quality is only available for TV Aerial Channels" and I don't have any.

It's a Sony TV.

The TV works fine on the TV/digital input mode.

Netflix and Amazon video work fine.

My recorded programmes show up and play fine.

My scheduled recordings have disappeared.

Any ideas wise souls?

Thank you very much 🙂

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: TV Aerial Channels: 0

Go to solution

Hi @Jennifer992, just to clarify what you've said, you have plugged your aerial into your TV and you are receiving Freeview okay? If that's the case then I would say that there's a fault with your box and you should contact BT for a replacement.

0 Ratings
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
The box isn't new and has been working fine with my old TV so I would be surprised if it was the box but who knows. Thanks for replying.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

As you've lost all channels it's unlikely that it's an aerial/cable fault but it's worth connecting the aerial direct to the TV just to be sure. If your TV tunes in to the Freeview channels then the fault lies with the box, and at least you can then watch the Freeview channels whilst you consider your options.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Jennifer992 wrote:
The box isn't new and has been working fine with my old TV so I would be surprised if it was the box but who knows. 

I would tend to agree with this view.  If I understand correctly you had your Old Tv working this morning and the new TV (has been installed in the same room location ?) So cables would have been noved/removed.

Now assuming it is in the same location using the same aerial feed  your Youview box would not have needed to be retuned when you changed TV and would have retained its existing tuning data  - the only setting you might have needed to change would be those in the Youview Box  Settings , Picture & Sound section which control the audio and picture settings .

Can you confirm  how the feed from your aerial is now connected to your Youview box ? 

0 Ratings
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Yes, the only thing that has changed is the TV itself. The cables are the same and were only unplugged from my old tv and plugged into the new one.

I have the aerial antenna plugged into the back of the TV and the HDMI cable too. (I'm not entirely sure I understand your question :))

Does it make a difference which HDMI slot I choose?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

The aerial cable needs to be plugged into the Youview box and the HDMI cable will connect from the Youview box to the TV. 

If there is no  aerial cable into the Youview box then the Youview box will not receive the Freeview channels which seems to be what you are experiencing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Check the connections as shown on this BT video http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53540/~/setting-up-bt-tv

The aerial needs to plug into the YouView box, not the TV.

Plug your aerial cable into the 'Aerial In' port on the back of the set top box. You'll need this to watch Freeview channels, like BBC and ITV.

Aerial In Port

Your aerial cable might already be plugged into your TV. If you want to loop the signal back into your TV from the set top box, you'll need another cable going from the 'Aerial Out' port to the back of your TV.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Just to add once you do have your aerial connection directly into the Youview box  you will need to to a retune again from the Youview>Settings>Signal&Connection>Tv Channels Retune Channels   on your Youview box as your earlier retunes when there was no aerial connection will have cleared out your list of freeview channels. (You may need to schedule your freeview channel recordings again if they don't reappear once you have your channels back in the guide.)

0 Ratings
Jennifer992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH. IT'S WORKING!!

When I was checking the cables were secure, I must have inadvertently pulled out the aerial cable from the YouView box (oh the irony) and then mistakenly plugged it back into the TV instead of the YouView box.

It's an age since I set up the box originally so I would never have noticed my mistake so I am very grateful for all of your help.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU