cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davski13
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

TV Apps through BT set top box unwatchable

We were sweet talked into upgrading to BT Halo with associated You View TV box and new router less than 6 months ago when our previous contract came up for renewal. Everything seemed fine and then iPlayer started to buffer and would eventually crash which meant a long wait for the box to reconnect to the internet. Since the corona lockdown it now appears that Netflix and Amazon Prime are suffering the same affliction (the buffering, not the coronavirus). Is this a common problem as it appears, after looking through this forum, that the iPlayer issue has been present for years?! I really feel like ripping the lot out and telling BT where to stuff it as it would appear we've totally ripped-off. I'm only posting on here because I can't actually get through to them to vent...

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
drivewayreef
Beginner
Message 2 of 15

Re: TV Apps through BT set top box unwatchable

same problem here , netflix and prime impossible to watch , the lack of a complaints email is annoying , tried calling but who can be bothered with all that , all the promises and guarantees they give you to suck you into signing up are worthless , I dislike sky but the service at least worked as it should , sorry my reply isn't helpful I hope you get replies that are
0 Ratings
Piya431
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Hi there, 

Hope you are doing well.  You can check the internet connection Like Ethernet or adapters whatever you are using.  Buffering means internet isn't working fine for TV.  If you are using Ethernet cable,  Just plug out cable and plug in again both ends. Make sure you have plugged in Ethernet at port 4 on hub. Then restart your TV box.   If it doesn't help,  you can contact BT at 0800800150 to get the adaptors/connectors arranged.

Hope it helps.

0 Ratings
davski13
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

It isn't really practical for us to link the hub to the TV box with a cable - is TV not intended to work with wifi, even though we have 2 of those additional booster disks...? We were assured by the engineer that wifi connectivity would be available in every room of the house.

We can access iPlayer and Netflix through the XBox via wifi with absolutely no buffering problems at all. My theory is that the YouView box itself isn't fit for purpose via wifi, even when just watching terrestrial TV we get screen messages telling us that the box has reconnected to the internet.

0 Ratings
Piya431
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Yes,  you can use Wi-Fi as well. Discs are different things. It helps to extend Wi-Fi connection To the area of house where you  poor connection.  Over Wi-Fi TV works but seems you are getting interruption over wifi (keep dropping and reconnecting ). As it is working fine over Xbox that mean internet is fine.  It's Just issue over Wi-Fi with TV . If Ethernet connection isn't possible,  you can go with Wi-Fi connectors. It will give you smooth connection. One will be placed near hub another near TV.  BT can provide you this. You don't need to buy it from somewhere.  I had same issue earlier,  it is fixed now since m using adaptors.   

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

The Youview box doesn't have WiFi so how are you connecting it via WiFi?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 15

Have you tried re-starting and/or resetting your router and doing a factory reset on the TV box? you can do a soft reset which will keep any recordings you may want to keep.
https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/tv-boxes/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-tv-box-

I've got Halo and BT TV and not having any problems on any devices. What's the model number of your TV box?

0 Ratings
Piya431
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Hi, I never used Wi-Fi. M using extenders and earlier I was using Ethernet cable. I Just checked and seems we don't have Wi-Fi option available on you view box.
0 Ratings
davski13
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Thanks fir the reply.

4K UHD, model number 91-00869

Done all the sequential restarts etc (how often are you supposed to do that?), made sure software is up to date etc.

0 Ratings
davski13
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

It isn't connected ny a wire to the hub so in my ignorance I used the term wifi to mean wirelessly - my bad (probably).

0 Ratings