cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevew09
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

TV Essentials Extra - Contracts, contracts and more contracts..

I have the 18 month free TV essential deal that I got back in Feb this year when I upgraded from ADSL to infinity.

Great, I get a £5 discount per month until August 2014.  Now TV Essentials Extra is available for Youview I though I'd quite like to see the extra 18 channels, assuming I could add the extra channels and pay BT an extra £2 per month for the next 12 months until my 18 month deal expired.

However after ringing BT I find out I need to take out a new contract, they no longer do free TV Essentials so I will have to pay £7 a month for TV which I am not prepared to pay.

I don't really get this as I got BT Sport without having to sign up for a new contract so why should I have to sign up to a new contarct to get the extra 18 channels for a year??

Baffling.....

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: TV Essentials Extra - Contracts, contracts and more contracts..

Because special offer are special offers and you want to leave it. Simple really, they all do it.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
stevew09
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

My point is why can I get sport without have to sign up to a new contract but I need to sign a contract to get the extra channels?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Because Sport is free to Cstomers. Extra channels are not

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
stevew09
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

But why do I have to lose my existing deal , which has over 12 months left on it? I was willing to pay BT the extra money to get the channels. Effectively bt are asking me to pay £7 a month for 18 channels... I can get all the other channels from my freeview hd TV and recorder. Oh well, my youview box will remain only used for Iplayer, shame.
0 Ratings
stevew09
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I think I am trying to say is that I have a contract so I was baffled as to why I can't just pay the extra between Essentials and Essentials Extra for the remainder of my existing contract, which is 12 months?

I guess nobody can answer that really, just a bit frustraighting as I thought I was the sort of person BT are aiming their TV serivce at.  I have alsready have a Freeview HD TV and Freeview HD recorder / Blu-Ray recorder and do not want to pay the high prices Sky charge for TV.

Never mind, I'll stop wondering why now.

0 Ratings
martdy
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I'm in the same boat.Signed up for Infinity and Youview in March with the free TV essentials. Happy with the set up and to have the sport now added is a bonus but wouldnt necessarily pay for it.

I would however pay £2 for the extra channels but definately not £7.

As BT Youview develops I hope different options will become available on a month by month basis rather than a new contract for every change of channel package.

At least we get the Sport HD channels thrown in . Don't tell anyone though - they might take them away and want another £5 a month!

0 Ratings
stevew09
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Indeed, because I have all the other channels (apart from BT sport) free through Freeview, BT want to charge me £7 or so a month to get only 18 channels.

Hopefully it will change in the future as you say.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
colts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi stevew09

I think you are confused over the 18 channels. They are called Extra for a reason as they are not available on Freeview. So £5 gets you BT Vision with a YouView or BT Vision box and £2 gets the 18 extra channels like Discovery and National Geographic.
HTH.

colts
0 Ratings
stevew09
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Sorry I did not word my last post very well.  What I meant is that I get all the channles that you get with TV Essential free through Freeview.

So as far as I see it, I would be paying £7 or so a month to just get the extra 18 TV channels on YouView.

0 Ratings