cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 47

Re: TV aerial to watch freeview ?

It would be great if Forces TV becomes available by IP.  Personally, I’ll be very sorry to see it go from Freeview when COM7 closes in June ☹️

…………………………………………………………………………………………….………………………………………………..….…….…. My Services - Full Fibre 100, Smart Hub 2, EE Smart WiFi, Digital Voice, Alexa Phone, BT TV Box Pro
0 Ratings
Message 42 of 47

@ozsat 

Yes I understand that but within the list published ITV2, 3 etc.etc. are listed as possibly available via BT if streamed in HD, so that is a plus.

Anyway it's all conjecture until it happens.

Message 43 of 47

Forces TV is one I don't expect to appear via IP - at least not to start with. It has never been made available to any of the streaming services as far as I can see. Not on Sky Glass and I don't think on the VM streaming service either.

But along with Talking Pictures and That's TV - would be welcome.

@MC22wrote:

It would be great if Forces TV becomes available by IP.  Personally, I’ll be very sorry to see it go from Freeview when COM7 closes in June ☹️

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 44 of 47

The naming of the regional channels is taken exactly as it reads within the data stream. 

The formatting includes ‘BBCip’ at the start, as with ‘IP’ on some of the Now channels. Clearly the naming used on the guide (and the ‘SD/HD’ at the end) isn’t likely to be included, so I expect this long-form naming is just for internal use. 

To get the list I did a scan of the multicast addresses from 234.81.130.0 to 234.81.132.55 with the port as 5802. 

There’s about 216 streams in total, and the new Freeview additions now make up more than half of those. They’re all encrypted the same way as the subscription services. Although I’m getting audio on a few of the secondary audio description steams, along with subtitles. 

All the SD Freeview services are running at 720x576 which is up from most other SD services on BT at 544x576. HD are all kicking out 1440x1080 - which I know has always been a sticking point for many.

The HD channels are running around 6-7Mb/s, and SDs 2.8-3Mb/s. In theory, the SD channels should look better than through Freeview - especially anything on SDN, which runs all channels at 544x576. The average for CBS Reality on SDN is 1.2Mb/s, so as well as doubling the bitrate, with move to a higher resolution should mean there’s an improvement.

As for the debate BT TV v Sky, yes, it is a different offering, but offering HD versions of Freeview channels is a game changer. It gives the service another point of difference that one-ups Freeview, but doesn’t directly challenge Sky.

The absence of Channel 4 services in HD (at present), is likely down to exclusivity of carriage along the line. I know there was a row with Freesat, so maybe there’s a contractual reason to stick with SD for now.

One thing I also noticed, there’s Discovery’s channels are still being carried but I seem to recall they had all now been removed from lineups?

IPdisc Investigation Discovery

IPdisc Animal Planet

IPdisc Discovery Science

IPdisc Discovery Turbo

IPdisc Discovery

IPdisc TLC

(With SD and HD versions of each)

Perhaps if the talks with Discovery and BT go well we could see a return?

They’re defiantly not accessible to customers anymore, right?

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 47

Anyone able to shed light on why Discovery's channels are still kicking around? Along with Crime & Investigation, they're some of the channels I miss most from the change over to Now. 

Are they still accessible to some customers?  

From what I can work out they became unavailable to the final customers in January. It's strange that they've just been left on when so many of the other services that were removed have been deleted. 

Perhaps if there's a deal with Discovery over D+ and Sport, they'll be made available to customers like how Now works - still accessible via the Discovery+ app, but recordable through the EPG on BT TV. That'd certainly be a good reason to keep BT TV for me. 

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 47

Shortly before the Discovery channels were due to stop, BT and Discovery announced a joint venture for BT Sport. Thus the plans to end the channels were cancelled, and they're still available to rent now.
It's hoped/expected that Discovery+ will become a part of the BT TV offering when the contracts are completed, but nothing is certain yet.
0 Ratings
Message 47 of 47

Thanks for update, Darren.

Do you have to of had the old Classic Entertainment plan to receive them, or can they be added separately somehow?

It's good to know that there's active conversations about perhaps keeping them, in some form. Whilst the world is moving towards apps and streaming services, having a hybrid option that delivers both sounds good to me!
0 Ratings