cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: TV reception!

Guys

I followed up on my query as to why I lost so many channels.

BT says I've still got HD, yet couldn't tell me why 109 thru 200 disappeared!!  total 148 down to 133
Whilst I was talking to a Techie, they asked me to re-boot my server, but guess what, having new digi phones it cut us off!!!  And , I didn't get. ring back....

Does anyone else have this channel gap?  I'm only looking for 114....

AND I still have no idea why I don't get a CHAT button on my home page...

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

@BarryT33 

As has already been said, there is no correlation whatsoever between paying for HD on services delivered by BT over IP & those delivered for free by Freeview.

Check your local transmitter by the link I posted previously.

If you're clicking Message Now & not getting a chat window then I suspect that either your browser &/or anti-virus are blocking pop-ups.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 30

rbz  et al.

There are people (like myself!) who aren't absolutely tech savvy, so deciphering whats IP and what Freeview isn't simplistic,  it "appears" to me that companies bundle free services such as ITV and BBC (with a licence) and hence the TV aerial into the BT box, but we were getting these free anyway.

My point still stands, HD is surely a norm, so why should we be charged extra for something which should have by now been standardised??

I checked the local transmitters and it looks as though I'd benefit from the aerial facing North to Hemel Hempstead, not where it was positioned (facing south; twds London) before we bought the house.

I don't get a "Message Now" button to click on....

Nobody has said if they can still get 114 (Quest in HD) ??   
Nobody from BT technical has rung me back after cutting me off earlier.

If people come in here to look for info, they are presumably needing their hands held, but sometimes it's easy to assume knowledge.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 30

@BarryT33 

I've just tried Quest HD and it's there for me from Crystal Palace but the signal is slightly weaker than BBC 1 HD - CH5 HD but that's because it's on COM7 which is at less power than the other bands.

As regards your last post it's quite difficult judging a member's technical knowledge and getting the response at the right level and maybe too much is assumed but if you post a reply at it's most simplest then that can sometimes cause offence.

Post your postcode - risk free I think - so others can see what your best options are and what issues you might be getting.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 30

@BarryT33 

I'd missed that you were referring the Quest HD & assumed that you'd lost all HD channels. Quest HD is (was?) carried on COM7 which is due to be shut down around now to accommodate 5G mobile. So it may be that it's gone on reduced power ahead of total switch off as @TimCurtis can still receive it.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/freeview-channel-switch-off-is-coming

So going forward it looks like you may benefit from an aerial re-alignment but Quest HD along with the others in that link look to be doomed.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

Thanks Tim.

Yes, comms via text is always difficult!  I appreciate any and all from those that choose to bother.   Just sometimes makes me feel rather dim.    Somewhere back in the mists of time I actually taught DOS, so I'm not a complete novice, although with said time, stuff fades    :-(.                 New Kit, Old Brain!!       Not a clue as to what COM7 is/does

My Pcode is      WD19      just north of Harrow and south of Watford, the two transmitters shown are Crystal Palace and Hemel.
No channels between 110 and 200:  Looking for 114 which was A Ok until a few days ago, then went extremely pixilated, then after re-tune, disappeared completely.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 30

Again, thanks rbz.

Re-alignment may be the way to go,, I'll ask my osteopath eh!

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 30

Many thanks to all for your help. All now resolved. Apparently the problems over the last few days have been down to atmospheric disturbance caused by the hot weather. I have retuned again today & am back to having a full compliment of channels with the weakest being 88% signal quality & 92% signal strength. So now all back to normal but wishing for the sunshine again!

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

Hi Devonboy, looks like you were lucky, did you try Ch 114, as it looks like the transmitter COM7 has gone/is going and will be no more, (at least here?)! Loss of >15 channels.
0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

BarryT33 no luck on channel 114. My guide on both TV & BTTV jumps from 109 to 201. I am getting 133 channels now whereas when I posted I was only receiving 40.

0 Ratings