Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zzzzak
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

TV signal weak or lost

Go to solution

Spoiler
BT sent us a new top box a couple of months ago. Every few days since, we lose service. We get a message on the TV saying "Your TV signal is weak or lost". If we reboot the box, everything reconnects and carries on working for a few days. Anybody got any ideas?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: TV signal weak or lost

Go to solution

@zzzzak wrote:

BT sent us a new top box a couple of months ago. Every few days since, we lose service. We get a message on the TV saying "Your TV signal is weak or lost". If we reboot the box, everything reconnects and carries on working for a few days. Anybody got any ideas?

Check your signal quality in the settings menu.

1. Bring up the menu with your remote
  2. Select Settings
  3. Go to the Signal & Connection area and select Signal Quality
0 Ratings
zzzzak
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me.
I've checked my signal, as suggested, and the strength is 96% and the quality 100%
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@zzzzak wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me.
I've checked my signal, as suggested, and the strength is 96% and the quality 100%

Is that on the channel you were watching when you saw the message?

You could have an intermittent aerial connection if it affects all channels.

If its just one channel then it could be either a weak signal on that channel, or a signal which is too strong, and overloading the YouView box, that can give a similar message, as the signal cannot be decoded if its too strong. 96% may be too strong a signal.

0 Ratings
zzzzak
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Yes, on the channel we were wanting to watch.

This never happened on the old box.

It seems that BT, rather than upgrading our system, are supplying us with an inferior service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

@zzzzak wrote:

Yes, on the channel we were wanting to watch.

This never happened on the old box.

It seems that BT, rather than upgrading our system, are supplying us with an inferior service.

It could of course be a faulty YouView box, but I would not expect a reboot to fix it.

The YouView boxes are quite fussy about the signal level, and reducing it slightly to about 85-90% may overcome the problem as it does not seem to be too weak, but it could be too strong.

A signal reduction can be made using a variable attenuator like this.

variable_attenuator.jpg

If you search sites like Amazon, for LOOPS Aerial Coaxial Cable Variable Attenuator,  or Philex Variable TV Signal Attenuator

The other possibility is 4G interference. See https://at800.tv/guide/4g-filters-guide/

See if other forum members have any suggestions.

0 Ratings
zzzzak
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for your help and suggestions over this - it's much appreciated.

I've got a 59 filter somewhere so I'll find that out and give it a try.  Otherwise I'll get on to BT. I don't see why I should be paying for a service that doesn't work.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @zzzzak  did you get a chance to try out the filter? If so did it fix the issue? 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Sounds like it may have developed a similar problem to mine.

The following has happened twice to my DTR-T2100 now. The picture starts glitching frequently, then to the extent that the screen blanks before returning. Then the messages start appearing about lost signal. Looking at the signal meter it is the the signal quality which is instantaneously reducing from 100% to less than 25%, then recovering.

The fix is to do a maintenance mode full reset (albeit keeping the recordings).

It is a pain as it takes ages to do a full reset, but that fixed my box for 6 months or so before it started happening again - just last week for me.

Must be a software problem that occurs after the box has been left on too long without a cold restart. Can't think of any reason why a reset would fix a problem like this if it was hardware related.....

0 Ratings
zzzzak
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks for the follow-up, John.

I have fitted a 59 filter to the aerial connection and, so far, things are working fine.

We were losing connection every 5 or 6 days - so I think it's a little bit early to say that the problem is sorted.

0 Ratings