Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hetster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

TalkTalk youview+ box

i have an old huwei talktalk youview hd box at home. i am currently a BT customer but only with phone and broadband. i have also signed up with BT sports which has so far been pointless as i have not even managed to watch a single sporting event online. i followed the guide to use bt sports with youview and it fails at step one which is going to vhannel 507.. all the bt sports channel;s are showing as no such channel.. i am assuming that although it works with everything else it doesnt work with BT. or is there a way to convert talktalk to a BT youview box?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
hetster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: TalkTalk youview+ box

also just tried the new BT app on the youview section and it wont connect so i am assuming i'd have to pay for tv services even though sports is supposed to be free?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 15

BT Sports is free with BT Broadband. This gives you access to BT Sports online. If you want BT Sports on the TV then you need a BT TV subscription. If you take out a subscription, then BT will supply you with a BT Youview Box. Not sure if you can get BT TV through a TT Box.
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

Remember that even with a BT YouView box you will only be able to get BT Sport on YouView if you are a BT Infinity subscriber. If you only have non-infinity Broadband you will only be able to watch BT Sport via your computer or via the BT Sport app for iphone/ipad/android.

If you can't even see BT Sport via your computer this suggests that BT Sport isn't enable for you. I think you can enable this via your MyBT account.

Anyway if you are only going to be a non-infinity BT Broadband customer and you already have a TalkTalk YouView box which will have the basic YouView features (play/record/etc.) you might not feel it worth getting another YouView box - albeit the better Humax version that BT supply.

0 Ratings
hetster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

i was all set to get a subscription till the so called free box turned out to be £50 deleivery charge & £50 setup fee which is far from free lol.. i picked up this talk talk box for 15 quid off facebook..i bought 2 for 30 quid.. quite happy with them just thought i'd be able to watch for free as they say bt sports is free for bt customers. doesnt say you need infinity or a bt tv subscription, plus i cant get infinity where i am. as soon as its available i intend to get it as i cant get cable up here full stop..and i wish i could watch it on pc. ive tried every single method to get it to play on my pc. ive given up and i am in no way a pc novice. i just stream it illegaly which in theory isnt illegaly as i am supposed to get it anyway 🙂

0 Ratings
Montague
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

PC novice you may or may not be be but quite clearly you have not taken the time to read the BT website fully or properly.

Everything is lucidly explained there.

0 Ratings
tullyhubbert
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

@hetster wrote:

i was all set to get a subscription till the so called free box turned out to be £50 deleivery charge & £50 setup fee which is far from free lol.. i picked up this talk talk box for 15 quid off facebook..i bought 2 for 30 quid.. quite happy with them just thought i'd be able to watch for free as they say bt sports is free for bt customers. doesnt say you need infinity or a bt tv subscription, plus i cant get infinity where i am. as soon as its available i intend to get it as i cant get cable up here full stop..and i wish i could watch it on pc. ive tried every single method to get it to play on my pc. ive given up and i am in no way a pc novice. i just stream it illegaly which in theory isnt illegaly as i am supposed to get it anyway 🙂

hestster is your BT broadband ADSL or Infinity?

As others have said, to watch BT Sport on your TV you need BT Infinity and a BT TV subscription. If you have BT internet but don't have a TV subscription then you can only stream it to PC or tablet.

I signed up in January, I was an Infinity 1 user at the time. From memory there was a £35 activation fee which BT waived and they sent the YouView kit free of charge. They also reduced my Infinity charge from £18pm to £15pm (Though I lost free evening calls)

I've not looked what they are but the 2 off £50 charges seem very high for delivery/setup. Maybe you're on ADSL and one of them is the Infinity setup? I'd ring them and see what they can do for you, they may waive part of the charge like they did for me.

Tbh at £22pm for the Entertaimnent package (+ line rental) its great value for a phone & TV package. The YouView box can be a little buggy but is generally great.

Should you take out a BT Infinity/TV subscription your YouView TalkTalk H box should morph into a box on which all you BT package content is viewable, this effectly would become multi room TV. BT do not endorse or support this but for now it works.

0 Ratings
hetster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

i am adsl only as we cant get infinity.

and montague i have been through every single option in fixing my issue. i followed every step on the forums and some that wasnt on the forums and i have still only ever been able to stream once. i have spent several hours on the phone with many an indian fellow trying to fix my issue and it hasnt been yet..in the end i just gave up. i have a batchelors degree in business IT and deal with pc's and netwroking issues on a daily basis. the one and only time i got it to stream on a pc was when i freshly formated a laptop and streamed it that way. since then it hasnt streamed again..its not too bad as i use acestream these days and get BT sports streams at a rate of 2000 kbs in full hd..it actualy looks better than the official app did on the 1 time it streamed lol.

much better than trying to sort out the problem with indians who have no idea what they are talking about, you can actualy hear the pages turn from the sheets they read from. as soon as you throw any technical terminology at them they become all flustered and tell you you need to stick with them and they can help then go into "have you turned it off and on again". and this isnt an indian thing i would have the same gripe if it was an english call center and they also employed trained monkeys to read from a sheet. if your going to have a technical helpline make sure the people on the other end are actualy technical.

anyway rant over lol

0 Ratings
Montague
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

I understand your frustration and concede defeat. I'll get my own coat and see myself out.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

If you have been able to see sports at some point that suggests that your sports is enabled.

Assuming you are trying to see sports on your PC:

Which web browser are you using? Which version?

Which operating system - windows xp/7/8?

Do you have silverlight installed?

0 Ratings