cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

The Elusive G4

As a customer for several years, from the original grey box through to my current youview black box, I decided to pay the £35 and upgrade to the new G4 box.

A simple phone call to BT, I thought, was all that would be required.  

Wrong! my first call to BT, I spoke to a nice lady in sales, she said I would need to re contract for 18 months under my current terms, pay the £35 to which I agreed, and the new replacement box would be on its way, unfortunately she was unable to access my account, and she would try again later, 2 days on and I am still waiting.

Yesterday I again rang the BT sales, I spoke to another nice lady who said the £35 replacement was only available to early "grey box" replacements, to which I replied I thought these were being replaced automatically & at no cost, so BT could move away from the MS operating system, she disagreed.

She then questioned why I wanted the G4 box, saying the only advantage was it was slightly smaller than the existing, I replied it is faster, has a lower power consumption and a better remote control.

The bottom line was she would not take my order and I am still without a replacement box.

Am I doing something wrong, how can I get a replacement box.  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: The Elusive G4

I suggest you phone the customer options team  ... if you initially get Sales just ask them to transfer the call.

0 Ratings
mike200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/New-YouView-box-upgrade-for-35/td-p/1184450

I was told upgrades to G4 box for all in June......

0 Ratings
MrGMyers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Call BT ask for the customer options team tell them that unless they give you a new You View box on a 12 month NOT 18 month contract you are leaving and see what happens! I did and I have a nice shiney new YouView box on a 12 month contract & I got the £35 box swap fee refunded. It can be done you just have to play hardball.
0 Ratings
UncleM1ch4el
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I have the G4 box and have been very happy with it, my grandad has just last week been convinced to upgrade his BT vision box my BT and signed him up to a new 18 month contract, today he was delivered the older style big black humax box and not the newer G4 box, he does seem to have a more modern remote though. He has not signed up to any TV packages so I wonder if that is why he got the old style box?

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Thanks Mr G,

After what has been a long and at times, an arduous journey, being shoved around from pillar to post by BT sales, options and almost everybody else in BT, I took your advice and cancelled my, out of contract, BT vision service, yesterday.

Today I ordered a G4 box on a 12 month contract and it is coming next Wednesday.

I did feel, that in my various conversations with all of the BT staff, there was an intangible reluctance, to do what I asked, possibly on  instructions from above.

Because of the continual battle, I eventually took the easiest route( life is to short) and did not fight for a box swap, so I am paying the £35 and my old Youview box will come in handy for a spare or Christmas present.    

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@UncleM1ch4el wrote:

I have the G4 box and have been very happy with it, my grandad has just last week been convinced to upgrade his BT vision box my BT and signed him up to a new 18 month contract, today he was delivered the older style big black humax box and not the newer G4 box, he does seem to have a more modern remote though. He has not signed up to any TV packages so I wonder if that is why he got the old style box?

Yes, in order to get the 'free' upgrade from silver BT Vision+ box and also stay on a £0 per month TV PAYG package it seems that you have to take BT up on their offer with a new 18 month broadband contract and you only get sent the previous model G3 BT Youview+ box (unless possibly you really complain a lot and get lucky). No such thing as a totally free lunch.

The other option is to to just start a new 12 month contract in the normal manner, pay the £35 activation fee for a new G4 BT Youview+ box, and pay at least £5 per month for TV Essential.

0 Ratings