cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

The existing customer £6 entertainment deal

Go to solution

I currently pay Sky £28 per month to access BT Sport on Sky Q, which gets me BT Sport 1, 2, 3 and 4 in HD, plus access in blurry vision (aka Sky Go).

I saw the £6 entertainment offer and noticed that I could add take it and add on BT Sport for £16 plus £6 for the HD/4K add on for a total of £28.

I'm trying to make sure I understand the mechanics of swapping access to BT Sport from Sky, so am I getting the following right?

• The £6 for 24 months is the base Entertainment TV pack, to which I can add 1 month add-ons
  • If I only use add-ons, I can revert back to the £6 pack at any time
  • If I change package from Entertainment to Big Sport, I could revert, but only at standard pricing
  • If I add BT Sport as a monthly rolling add on at £16 (+ £6 for HD/4K), I can record if needed
  • Adding BT Sport gets me access via the BT TV app
  • Adding BT Sports and the HD/4K pack does not get me access to the BT Sport app (it used to but isn't clear these days)
  • If I only have the £6 Entertainment pack active in March 2023, that is the only cost the annual price rise applies to (excluding broadband)
  • The IP delivered streams for channels like ITV 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. are HD as standard and do not require the HD/4K add on*

Any information on the above gratefully received.

*The wording for the HD/4K add-on during the order process states it enables you to "Watch your NOW membership and BT Sport in Full HD + BT Sport Ultimate if you have a 4K TV" and "Includes an upgrade to our 4K recordable TV box, which can record up to 600 hours of TV. 4K TV required to watch in 4K."

No mention of it being required to enable HD for anything else, but I suspect it might be.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: The existing customer £6 entertainment deal

Go to solution

We took the £6 offer up in April as existing BT Broadband customers  but new BTTV customers. We previously just paid extra for the BT Sport app(£15) and BT Sport Ulitmate (£5)via my Fire TV 4K stick.

You will have access to the BT Sport app and the BT TV app if you take up this offer. You will only have access to BT Sport Ultimate if your line speed is fast enough. Eurosport has recently been made available on the box  to those with BT Sport who don’t have Big Sport but it hasn’t been announced officially yet and still isn’t available on the BTTV app or BT Player, although it is recordable on the box. We get Eurosport in HD as we pay for the add-on.

I believe that you will receive the BT Pro tv box if you are a new BTTV customer.

Everything else that you have assumed is correct as far as I know. We have the Entertainment pack( Netflix + Now Ebtertainment ) for £6 and we have BT Sport (£15) and HD/UHD (£5) and Netflix Standard (£4) as add-ons. We haven’t changed anything since we took it up and that explains why our prices may differ to those that you will pay.

Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks @Brucemeister5.

That all sounds like it will work for me.

Basically, I was pondering whether or not to take this offer up, initially to use as a sort of multiroom, then I can make a decision when my Q contract expires. 

As I said, I already have BT Sport through Sky, but it has limitations. Allegedly BT Sport Ultimate is supposedly being added but hasn't appeared and whilst I prefer not to put too much strain on my limited broadband connection, it can handle the few games a month I would watch on the app on my Xbox One S in 4K HDR.

I wouldn't be able to get BT Sport Ultimate through the box as my handback threshold is 42 Mbps.

I also pay Sky for multiroom (discounted), but it rarely gets used, hence I could save even more money by swapping it out for the BT box and still have access to plenty of core TV in the bedroom.

No point me moving anything else across currently as my Q deal is ridiculously cheap and includes Sky Sports in 4K UHD, which is handy because I am pretty sure they are deliberately over compressing SD and HD pictures delivered via satellite these days.

I sort of also like the idea of having a foot in both camps to potentially take advantage of any benefits of the recent Discovery deal. although I admit to having had access to Discovery+ through Sky free for 2 years and still haven't watched anything on it.

I assume I can use an alternate email address for the Netflix account I won't use, then switch it to the one I already use with them if I switch completely? 

————————————————————-
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

That’s desperately annoying about your broadband speed. I believe that BT like it to be 44 Mbps before they’ll allow BT Sport Ultimate. We only get 48 Mbps but have never had a problem. In fact we’ve got BT’s unbreakable broadband and when that EE backup kicks in and drops to 30 Mbps we still get BT Sport Ultimate on the Pro tv box.

We used my partner’s email address to sign up to Netflix and Now to make sure that there was no room for any confusion. She’s never had an account with either of them before. I have and I kept my NOW account separate to enable me to still take advantage of the discounted offers on Sky Sports.

Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@Brucemeister5wrote:

I have and I kept my NOW account separate to enable me to still take advantage of the discounted offers on Sky Sports.

Great minds think alike! 😁

————————————————————-
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@stereohaven  The  BT Sport addon to your TV package will also give you access via the BT Sport app.   Access to the  Bt sport channels is also available on the BT Tv app as you added those channels to your TV subscription.
There are  is an HD addon and a HD/4K addon to the TV package which provides the HD or HD/4K subscription channels.  Which addon (normally same cost) you can take is typically governed by your broadband speed and I believe the only  TV difference is whether you receive the 433/465 channels which have the BT sport Ultimate SDR and HDR channels.

Free to air channels in Ip mode would be a mix of HD and  SD  depending upon the agreements that BT has with the various suppliers.  

Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice, ordered and re-contracted. 

BT TV orderBT TV order

I note it still says "Boxnation" on the order confirmation, but I know that has been pulled. 

————————————————————-
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Yes, I believe that Box Nation will no longer be available to order for new customers from 4th November and will no longer be available to watch for existing customers from 17th November. Discovery channel is being provided as a replacement I gather.

Interesting to see that the 4K ultra HD add-on has been included in your order, although you stated elsewhere that you don’t intend to use the Pro tv box that you will be sent.

Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I decided to get the box so I can put it through its paces before my Sky Q contract expires in May 2023. Price wise it is the same as having BT Sport on its own via Sky for me.

I'm back mentally where I was with Sky before I left many years back to join BT in the first place, basically when I don't have Sky, I miss it, when I am with them, I hate it! 

Nothing like having both services side by side for a while to work out what is really important to us. My biggest worry has always been putting strain on my broadband connection when I am trying to watch something in 4K and the kids are watching stuff whilst talking to friends.

With recent storms I lost my satellite connection for the first time in a while and found that our broadband may only be 55 Mbps, but it handled everything we threw at it at a peak time of the day, with ease, so I feel a bit more relaxed about moving back to IP delivery if that's the route we choose.

I change my mind every year about TV. Sometimes I am going to stick with Freeview + apps, then go with BT, then Sky, the only consistent is my hatred for Virgin Media! 🤣

————————————————————-
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Honestly, sometimes I just can't help but laugh at BT's systems, but when it costs me money (however small the amount), it really is frustrating.

So as per the thread, I signed up to the £6 Entertainment deal yesterday (less than 24 hours ago to be precise), but the only way during the ordering process to get a BT Box Pro was to add the HD/4K add-on. 

Guess what email I got this afternoon?

Join BT TV offerJoin BT TV offer

So not only are they offering me a service I purchased yesterday, but they are also now offering the hardware I was after without any additional cost. 

Beyond frustrating. It's only £6, but I added BT Sport for £16 when I still have a month to go with Sky so at least I could use the 4K I was made to pay for.

Anything a mod can do? Should I complain or should I make a cuppa and just get on with it?

Grrrr....Grrrr....

————————————————————-