cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

There are apps for iOS and Android, but can I programme remotely from PC?

Go to solution

I currently have an ordinary Humax Freeview PVR, and am considering BT TV esentials for the HD content and access to one off films. Compared to a retail youview box, I'd also get catch up and iPlayer content without upsetting my broadband allowance (I'm already on Infinity getting 39Mbs download).

I've read a lot about the mobile apps you can get now, but they are on a small screen with a limited interface. Is there a way of accessing the channel guide and searching and setting recordings using my PC? After all, the boxes will be on the same network and the BT box must have an IP address I can get at.
  At least then I can have a big screen to look on and a keyboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
MartinH
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: There are apps for iOS and Android, but can I programme remotely from PC?

Go to solution

@Fellwalker wrote:

Is there a way of accessing the channel guide and searching and setting recordings using my PC? After all, the boxes will be on the same network and the BT box must have an IP address I can get at.

No. The YouView apps have to be paired with the box, there's no username/login option so no-way to send instructions from a browser to a specific box and YouView have given no indications that they're working on a browser version. 

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@MartinH wrote:

@Fellwalker wrote:

Is there a way of accessing the channel guide and searching and setting recordings using my PC? After all, the boxes will be on the same network and the BT box must have an IP address I can get at.

No. The YouView apps have to be paired with the box, there's no username/login option so no-way to send instructions from a browser to a specific box and YouView have given no indications that they're working on a browser version. 

To go a bit further, YouView have specifically said that they have no plans to make a browser version. The apps will be the only way to set a recording remotely.

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
thank you guys. such a shame, as it would have been great to programme if through my laptop.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
stevemarsbar
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

You could try getting an iphone/Android emulator for the PC and download the app to that?!

🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@stevemarsbar Thanks, great idea.  I already had such a piece of software running in an Oracle VM Virtual Box.  SO, I have installed it in Android VM, but cannot see how it the actual app will work as I need to pair it, and don't have a youview box yet.  Also, as soon as I loaded it, it turned the window sideways. **bleep**.  There is always something.

BUT, I can report that it will download and run in a virtual box.Android Virtual Machine running youview

0 Ratings