cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Tv coax cable in new build

Hi.

I am probably not in the right part of the forum but here goes.

I have moved into a new build house and need to set up my BT TV, Freeview box etc. I need to have a TV aerial installed. There is a TV wall socket in the living room and one in a bedroom. In the loft the coax cable is a loop which would appear to feed both TV sockets.  I expected to find two cables waiting to be connected to a splitter which would then be connected to the aerial. But this is a continuous cable. So is it a single piece of coax that is connected to both TV sockets and is simply waiting to be cut in two? I can't think of any other explanation. Maybe this is the way builders do this nowadays.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Tv coax cable in new build

They're probably be connected to a splitter or distribution point somewhere near the aerial... It could possibly be in the loft

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi @Tarnbrick and welcome.

When you get your aerial installed the engineer should be able to sort out any internal connections for you . If there isn't already a splitter installed they'll do that for you on request.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your reply. What I am trying to figure out is that it appears that the builders have fed a coax cable from one TV socket up the cavity to the loft and then after leaving several feet of the cable loose in the loft they have fed it back down to the other TV socket. This ends up with just one continuous cable. I presume you are then meant to cut it in the loft and fit a splitter and then cable the splitter up to a new aerial.  One fitted has already been and said he didn't know what to do. Perhaps this is the way now in a new build.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Tarnbrick ,

I've not heard of this type of installation before but from what you're describing I would guess the cable would need to be cut and then a splitter added to connect to the aerial. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Yes. Thank you for that reply. You would think the builders would have mentioned it in the huge pile of paperwork they give you.

Cheers.

0 Ratings