Did you mean: 
liamstears
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

UHD Box, Issues with AV Receiver

So got a new UHD box which is brill but I havent yet got a UHD tv

So if I connect the box directly to the TV it works perfectly

BUT

I use an AV receiver (Denon AVR-X2200W) this is a 4k receiver which supports 4k and HDCP 2.2 etc but the problem ive got is that if I connect the youview box to it I get no picture on the tv

No picture if the receiver is in standby and when the receiver is on I get a message saying content cant be displayed because my tv doesnt support HDCP 2.2 which I know as its only a 1080p tv

So my question is, is there a way around this?

I know what the problem is in theory and thats the youview box is talking to the av amp and its telling the youview box it supports hdcp 2.2 so the youview box is using it but that cant then be transmitted to the tv

I thought a fix would be to just set the youview box to 1080p but that doesnt solve the problem

Other than connecting straight to the TV which I dont want to do (very complicated setup that uses a universal remote to set all inputs) is there a workaround or a way I could fi this?

Appreciate any help...

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: UHD Box, Issues with AV Receiver

My dennon AVR-X2200w works great. Standby puts the reciever in bypass mode it just relays the last selected HDMI source. My TV is the Sony KD55X8505B FYI.

DD+ lights up on the Amp ( most BTTV HD channels use Dolby Digital+ not regular AC3) , TV detects 3840x2160p. but when the audio switches format, the HDMI signal seems to resync due to the audio format change ( you can can achieve the same effect as changing channels but useing the AD button on the remote to cause a resync) and for some reson sometimes I lose the picture, and my Tv can on occations decide that the signal is unsupported, a quick blip on the amp remote to bring up a menu or the audio info and back and is syncs up great again. 

Their are less issues connected direct to the TV as the box converts the dolby digital+ audio to regular dolby digital, that seems to cause less syncing issues but it does happen still. The purist would much rather have the DD+ stream than converted to legacy dolby digital. useing ARC to get the audio back to the amp. I don't think there is much loss if any in the dolby digital+ to dolby digital conversion.

Does everything work correctly through your amp bar the surround sound if you set the HDMI audio format in Youview > settings > TV signal & quality menu to Stereo?

If It does I think we are suffering a simlar issue causing my TV not always syncing and your's flat out refusing to sync. I've never had this issue with blu-ray and 1080p, or the you view box set to 1080p( it does resync on the audio format change but it always resyncs very quickly).

I also have zero issues with the resolution set to 1080p or lower. thats obviously no good for watching UHD.

I have a BT TV engineer comming out to check on this amoung many issues I'm having with my BT UHD box.

0 Ratings
Urk54
Message 3 of 24

I have the same setup as you TNT555 but when I try to go through the setup process and add the UHD box, I get sound but no picture. If I turn the amp off then the picture works ok.

Any idea what I have done wrong??

0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 24

The BT TV UHD box does not appear to me fully compatible with everything. I suspect BT have worked on TV compatibility first, and ignored AV amps.

I'm sure they tweeked Dolby Digital compatibility in software as that no longer causes the unsupported format issues with my TV. However Dolby digital + does cause the picture to re sync still,  and it only happens with the AV amp in the picture because only my my AV amp supports DD+. The TV only supports Dolby Digital, thus output the DD+ track in dolby digital to the TV.

Setting the box to Stereo on HDMI and using an optical cable works around the problem but doesn't fix the issue with DD+.

The TV engineer reported the issue to BT for me.

My other bug bear is that all the HD channels on freeview use AAC audio, and that gets converted to Dolby Digital even for stereo. It should be converted to PCM stereo or 5.1 LPCM with equipment that supports it. Dolby digital should be a comaptibility fall beack being a lossy to lossy format conversion.

0 Ratings
kickboxerdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

I know this an old thread, but did you ever find a fix for this?

I have exactly the same issue, same kit. Ultra hd youview box to denon avr x2200w to lg 4k tv and optoma projector. TV works fine but projector shows hdcp 2.2 message. Weird thing is it was definitely working during setup, then suddenly stopped and can't get it to work at all. Other inputs work fine on projector, e.g ps4 to denon to projector. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

Nope. i'm still using an optical cable for audio and have the HDMI set to stereo.

0 Ratings
drbell
Message 7 of 24

I have this issue too, and cannot get it to work no matter what I try. 

Brand new BT youview ultra HD box

Denon avr-x2200w 

Optoma hd25e 

Everything else (ps3, 4 with, sky hd) goes through amp fine and displays on projector. But youview box (the only 4k device) just shows the hdcp error. Direct connection to projector is fine of course but that's not an option. 

I've tried passthrough on amp but I get a blank screen. I tried 2 hdmi switches. One worked for a minute then went back to error, and never worked again. 

If anyone has any suggestions or gets this to work, please post. Going nuts. 

0 Ratings
pingu2000
Message 8 of 24

HI,

I also have a problem with my BT Ultra Box connected to a Denon AVR-X4200W.

My TV and projector are only HD, so I have the BT box set to output 1080p but when connected through the amp I get the "your TV does not support HDCP 2.2" message.  The only way around it so far is to put an HDMI splitter between the BT box and the amp.  I guess this strips out the HDCP 2.2 stuff and everything works.

All my other sources are fine, so I think BT need to update the firmware to not require an HDCP 2.2 handshake if outputting less than 4K.

0 Ratings
Coalfield
Message 9 of 24

Exactly the same think with the denon AVR-X4200W. Very frustrating as it worked fine with a letter pioneer amp and also ok connected directly to my non HD TVs. Leads me to believe this is a denon issue where it should be handshaking with the lowest possible HDCP not the highest!
0 Ratings
Peteepop
Message 10 of 24

I am just about to switch to BT and was going to go for the UHD box.

I have a Marantz NR1604 AV receiver which supports 4k, but my TV is 1080p (Sony W905A).

Are the above problems only present with certain AV receivers, or is the same problem more than likely going to occur using any 4k compatible AV receiver connected to a 1080p TV?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings