cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srpsrp
Expert
Message 1 of 11

UHD box switches to 720 when set to 1080i

I've noticed a few times that the resolution on HD channels shows up on my TV as 720 even though I've set it to 1080i on the settings. It's a bit annoying, but if I go to the settings and switch to/from another setting it goes back to 1080i. I wonder if this has not been reported if perhaps most TV's do not show the input resolution on screen ?

Also does Freeview sometimes not broadcast DD5.1 even when it's available on Freesat ? I noticed during Channel 4's Thor film that Freesat broadcast had DD5.1 via my Freesat box however the BT box could not be coaxed out of Stereo ( I've tried HDMI and SPDIF + set to surround for both outputs)

I tend to preffer the Freesat picture quality anyway so it's not a major issue since I have a 1TB freesat box also.

Simon

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
ab79
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: UHD box switches to 720 when set to 1080i

Not sure about the resolution issue, but if you press the info (I) button on a programme in the guide it will say 'ss' in the information box if it is broadcast in surround sound. It seems a bit hit and miss with what is broadcast in surround. I think the BBC and Channel 4 are more likely than other channels to broadcast films in SS from my experience.
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 3 of 11

I suppose I've never really watched via freeview unil I got BT TV, I'm not sure if the 'SS'  means DD5.1 it could just mean surround encoded stereo ( which isn't at all bad)

I wonder if BT should bring out a Freesat version of their box, it might make sense if they are mopping up all the Sky customers who have seen the light, just plug the BT box into the $ky dish 🙂

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 4 of 11

well it's happened again today, my Panasonic Plasma shows the input resolution is 720 even though the setting is set to 1080i.  I might bite the bullet and risk calling the Indians. I'm guessing the first thing they'll say is to do a factory reset or somthing ?

I also noticed that the setting for SPDIF surround/Stereo seemed to have been reset to stereo. I have  set it to 'surround' at least twice now I think. Pretty annoying really. I'm suprised no one else has noticed these problems since it looks like a software bug to me.

Simon

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Which box have you got?

Try a different HDMI cable or socket perhaps.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 6 of 11

it's the 1TB UHD one, I wonder if this problem is some how related to the new smart standby feature. When it switched on out of deep sleep last night, I watched it output 720 for a few seconds. I've never set 'smart standby' it must have done this itself during the last upgrade.

The smart power save setting seems to be a good idea but poorly implemented. It only lets you set auto deep sleep during 12-6am for some strange reason ? I'd imagine a lot of people don't watch during the day, ie have jobs to go to !

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Which model Plasma TV do you have? How old is it? What is the maximum resolution of your Plasma TV?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

I believe (humax/BT) Youview boxes when powering up and I suspect also after a deep sleep start with a resolution of 720p. That changes as appropriate during the startup process to the resolution you have set on the Youview box. That is I believe normal operation of the box. I would have expected your Panasonic TV to report first that it was 720p and then the higher resolution.

Yes Smart Standby was introduced this year (later on the UHD box that the others) you should have seen message when the box was upgraded. If you were previously on Eco Mode Low, your box would have  automatically changed to Smart Standby mode following the software update. If you were in Eco Mode High, you would have been given the option following the software update to turn on Smart Standby mode. If you choose to ignore that message, your standby mode would automatically have change to Energy Saver mode.

To change your standby mode in Settings:

Press the YouView Button then go to Settings> Device Management> Standby Mode.

there are I believe options to vary the deep sleep time  -

Press the YouView Button then go to Settings > Device Management > Standby Mode > Smart > More Options.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 9 of 11

My TV is old, but it is 1080p so obviously I don't want to get 720 resolution being sent through for HD channels.

I never saw any messages regarding an upgrade except the misleading (?) one in the menu  showing when the last update check was made. I have the smart stand by option so presumably it's on the latest version ?

I originally set HDMI outpu to 1080i when I was comparing the PQ betweem Sky and BT. The BT box is factory set  to 1080p which I thought made the difference since I believe Sky outputs 1080i.

Sky does not have  a 1080p option as far as I'm aware  so I have to sasume  the Panasonic TV is better at de-interlacing than either since I definiatly preffer the 1080i option on BT.

Thankfully you guys are not programming nuclear reactors ! LOL 🙂

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 10 of 11

it's the Panasonic TXP42G20 plasma from 2009 ish, 1080p. Still going strong and keeping my loung toasty warm 🙂

0 Ratings