Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slammer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

UHD from BT

Go to solution

Hey Guys

Contemplating getting UHD. Can anyone tell me if the UHD box has apps for uhd content like the Netflix app etc.

Cheers

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: UHD from BT

Go to solution

Not sure what you mean.

The only UHD content is BT's Sport channel and the catch-up of that sports channel in the BT player (organised under a 4K heading).

The Netflix app will list and play 4k content (in surround sound via HDMI on a UHD box) if you go via the box and have a 4K subscription but just looks the same and is in the same place as the app on any YouView box.

There is only one other app that does 4k at the minute and that is the amazon prime service, unfortunately that is not available on BT's TV service at this time.

There are a few film services (apple/google) that do 4K film purchases but they have always been fairly low availability and of course Youtube isnt available as an app on the BT box.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

your best bet for  4K content is a BluRay player I would have thought, there is only one UHD channel on BT and that is just the occaisional sports thing. Most UHD TV's have youtube etc built in I think.

0 Ratings
slammer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks both for replies might hold out in future see if more content is available smart tv has Netflix with 4K content hoping more uhd channels come in future would be good
0 Ratings
varkanoid
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Netflix app on the UHD box is 4k capable. ie you can watch Iron Fist, Daredevil, Travellers, movies etc etc in UHD.

There are some big changes to the BT TV box coming this year so be interesting to see what develops.

0 Ratings
celtic0203
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
I’ve just renewed today and apparently I don’t need a new 4k box, it can get done remotely with a firmgrade option. I have my doubts but I’m informed by the retentions team that this is now possible.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Unless your existing box can magically grow a HDCP2.2 copy protection chip. This I would like to see...

0 Ratings
celtic0203
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
I called b/s to be fair. - why would
They say this is possible over the phone
Then?

They said it would upgrade over broadband in the same
way a ps4 or xbox would. I wouldn’t get the 1tb the new box has though.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Well exactly, if it was that simple why hasn't my PS4 been enabled for 4k and i have to buy a PS4 Pro?

I am not saying boxes can't upgrade online but as far as i know you need specific hardware (HDCP2.2 chip) to allow 4K to be viewed.

My TV only has 1 port out of 4 enabled for HDCP2.2 and it is annoying, wouldn't it be lovely if they could update the other 3 ports for HDCP with just a firmware update...

The other box has more than just a bigger hard drive. It has a faster chipset to decode the HEVC that 4K is coded in....

0 Ratings
celtic0203
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Cheers for the help,

Phoned them back up and it’s clear I’ve been misinformed.

Their going to listen back to call and phone me back tomorrow.
<watch his space>

To think I started believing this was possible too.
0 Ratings