cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tb_forum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Ultra HD Not Ultra

I have had Ultra HD for over 6 months now and watched the wide range of programmes available - well, basically the footie.

When I first had it I couldn't figure out all the rave reviews - sure, if you look at the limited demos on the You View box then the quality is good but if you watch a regular game, to be honest there is no discernible difference between Ultra HD and HD. I have checked settings on the TV and the box numerous times, my download speeds are well in excess of 50Mbps and run the UHD test on the box, yes I see a faint U before HD.

The situation is often compounded imho by the UHD cameras often seemingly being set at a higher level) in the stadiums (so a greater distance from the pitch.

I certainly won't be renewing Ultra HD, unless there is a dramatic improvement it definitely isn't worth the money.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 2 of 28

Re: Ultra HD Not Ultra

What type of TV do you have (4k?) and is your youview HDMI output set to UHD ? (cant recall what the default is).

If possible, check what resolution is recieveing/displaying. If its a 4k TV then you should see 3,800x 2,160 

I have a samsung 4k tv and I'm pretty impressed by the extra quality UHD brings - maybe not quite as obvious as the difference between SD and HD but clearly much sharper, especially on longer distance shots.  If I watch a footy match on UHD for a while then switch back to HD then the difference is obvious ( to my mind at least!).

one other thought - if you have a good 4k tv then it's upscaling of the HD picture quality may already be doing a good job.  It wont ever be as good as a 4k image but TVs can make a good stab at it!

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 28

It depends how big your TV is and how far away you sit from it before you will notice the difference...
0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 4 of 28

I'd been thinking of going for the UHD box since getting a new 4K TV. The TV came with a free 6 month subscription to Netflix UHD & had a quick look at some 4K content on there last night. Must admit it was very good but I wouldn't say any better than HD channels which I believe my TV upscales anyway. Difficult to compare unless you can watch exactly the same broadcast in both HD & then UHD. And if some of the UHD cameras at the footie are indeed further away, rather defeats the object I'd say. As my TV's a Samsung & there appear to be problems with compatibility, I think I'll probably leave the UHD for now.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 5 of 28

I notice a BIG difference between HD and Ultra HD especially with the football. The colours and clarity on Ultra HD is so much better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Cameron
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 28

@Telecom89 wrote:
It depends how big your TV is and how far away you sit from it before you will notice the difference...

I read an article that said your TV needs to be at least 55" or you will not get the benefit of a UHD picture.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 7 of 28

Ah, that could be it; I've only got a relatively small one. The telly's only 48" too 😉
0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 28

@LesC wrote:
I'd been thinking of going for the UHD box since getting a new 4K TV. The TV came with a free 6 month subscription to Netflix UHD & had a quick look at some 4K content on there last night. Must admit it was very good but I wouldn't say any better than HD channels which I believe my TV upscales anyway. Difficult to compare unless you can watch exactly the same broadcast in both HD & then UHD. And if some of the UHD cameras at the footie are indeed further away, rather defeats the object I'd say. As my TV's a Samsung & there appear to be problems with compatibility, I think I'll probably leave the UHD for now.

I have a Samsung UE55jS8500 and I don't have any comaptibility problem at all with my UHD box.

0 Ratings
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 9 of 28

I also have a 55JS8500 and no issues with the UHD box.

Also agree on the previous poster's points...

- It depends on the size of the TV and how close you sit to it. Small TV and sitting far away you wont seen any difference in UHD (except perhaps in the colour)

- TVs upscale HD content pretty well for static pictures (but struggle more with moving images). I'm pretty impressed with the Samsung's ability in this area. Especially blueray - thats awsome.

0 Ratings
tb_forum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes, 4k TV (Samsung) and settings are all correct for UHD.

0 Ratings