Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spbond
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Ultra HD box reliability issues - Not again

Hi,

Around a year ago I decided to move away from Sky as we weren't using the package enough to warrant the £80+ monthly payment so we didn't renew the contract and bought a nice new shiny Humax Freesat box.

To say that the Humax box was unreliable is an understatement. Disappearing image, sound, program listings, not powering on, not powering down, unresponsive to the remote and numerous factory resets were weekly occurences. Humax and John Lewis's response was always to perform a factory reset or return the box so they could investigate and repair. This would take 2-4 weeks and they wouldn't provide a temporary replacement.

We gave up and returned to Sky.

Sky was beginning to suffer due to large trees behind our house and it was decided that I had no option but to replace the dish with an aerial and move to BT TV. We are BT Infinity 2 customers so this was the obvious choice.

Our BT Ultra HD box was great for approx 4 weeks but it then, two days ago, was incredibly slow to power up from Smart mode (the Youview loading message appearing then disappearing). After eventually coming to life the Guide was empty and the box was slow to respond to the remote control. A power on\power off resulted in the same response.

I entered maintenance mode (eventually) and performed a software reset on BT's advice. This resulted in a working box but after a short time the box refused to respond to the remote control again and the picture disappeared on occasion.

After eventually managing to access the software update section I was offered the chance to update the software. Surely this would be the fix I was hoping for. No. It wasn't.

We turned the box off and left it in 'red light' mode and went to bed. In the morning the box was showing a purple light which is something I'd not seen before. I performed a full factory reset, lost all our settings and recordings, to see if this was the final fix.

It wasn't. On reconfiguring the box after the reset I enjoyed normal operation for approx 10 minutes before the same old problems raised their head. I was back in Humax world and wasn't overly happy.

BT have arranged to send out a new Ultra HD box but I'm beginning to get feel that Humax hardware and software is a pile of rubbish. I've little confidence in the replacement Ultra HD box providing years, yes - years, of the trouble free operation that I enjoyed with Sky hardware.

The problem is that if the new box is as unreliable as my current box I have few options but to replace each time it fails and with very few, if any, other options than Humax on the market my choice is limited.

Come on BT, give Humax a wide berth and find a manufacturer that provides quality hardware.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ultra HD box reliability issues - Not again

I've been running the Ultra HD box for about 8 months now with no issues so hopefully your replacement should be fine.

Other options incude Panasonic btw which tend to be reliable in my experience.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

Well I have been using a Humax Pvr since September 2010 and that is still  providing good service in viewing and recording Freeview nearly 7 years later. 

One question how is your Youview box positioned .. i.e. Is it stacked , on a shelf etc  ...  ?

Would you say the airflow around the box is good ? 

0 Ratings
spbond
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

It's on a plinth which allows air to flow all around the unit.

It was originally placed on a flat surface but I changed this after noticing that the noisy fan was coming on too often during hot weather.

You could say that that's another failing of the unit.

Cheers,

Sean

0 Ratings