cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwgeezer
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Ultra HD channel will not work - does anyone at BT know anything about this channel?!

Go to solution

Hi everyone

I am hoping that one of you will be able to enlighten me about the BT sport ultra HD channel (channel 434 on the Youview box).

I have recently upgraded to the Total Entertainment pack specifically to watch the ultra HD channel. I have had the ultra HD Youview box installed and have the 4k TV so all seemed good to go.

However it has been 2-3 weeks since install and I have yet to see the ultra HD channel work. I have contacted BT support more than a few times and most of the people that i speak to dont seem to know what the ultra HD channel is depsite the fact that it is a big part of BT's marketing.

Anyway, have had a second engineer out who checked both my router and youview box and found both to be fine. He then called BT support who told him that the ultra HD channel had been removed from the planner, again a little strange for a product that still features prominently on the comany's website.

All of the other TV channels work fine, including BT sport HD, it is only the UHD channel that doest not work. 

My broadband seems fine but when i do a speed check it always comes in at just under 30mbps. I am an infinity 1 customer so does this mean that my speed is being capped? I hear that I need around 45mbps to support the ultra HD channel, is this true? And is if this is true, do I need to be signed up to a service that provides that speed or does my line just have to be theoretically able to support that speed?

Sorry for all the questions but I am keen to get this channel sorted as i have watched the ultra HD snowboarding videos in the BT player and the picture quality is awesome. Would love to watch the football in that detail.

Many thanks for any advice!

Simon

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ultra HD channel will not work - does anyone at BT know anything about this channel?!

Go to solution

Doeschannel 434 appear in your Youview box EPG (guide) ?

If so what actually happens when you go to that channel ?

0 Ratings
bwgeezer
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Re: Ultra HD channel will not work - does anyone at BT know anything about this channel?!

Go to solution
Hi there
Yes, channel 434 is in the guide and when I select it I get a black screen and error 6023.

I was wondering if it is a problem with my broadband speed but I can stream the UHD sports stuff in the BT player without any issues.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Simon
0 Ratings
bwgeezer
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
For info I checked my line via the FTTC checker and these are the results:
High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 62.5
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 69.8 39.7
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

As you are seeing the channel in the guide ..  This suggests it is more likely to be a technical issue rather than a account problem.

Your broadband speed seems a bit lower than your checker suggests should be available.  Are you running your speed tests when your Youview box is tuned into a Freeview channel ... I'e. Not a BT ISP channel ?

0 Ratings
bwgeezer
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
I had Youview on BBC 1 and I was using the Ookla speed checker on my mobile phone.

Just ran it again and got 27mbps.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

What speed test results do you get when testing over Ethernet  connection rather than wifi  ?

Is your Youview box connected directly to your homehub via Ethernt ?

Also which homehub do you have 3 4 or 5 ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bwgeezer
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
Hi there
Just ran a wired test and got 27mbps.
We have a homehub 5 which is connected to youview via ethernet.
Cheers!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Well it does look like a broadband issue that is the probable reason the of the errors with the UHD channel.

Maybe take a look or post for some further advice on the

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/bd-p/BTInfinity

subforum. 

Alternatively raising it as a broadband speed issue rather than a BT TV issue with the BT Helpdesk could result in them focusing  on the root cause rather than treating it as a BT TV connection issue.

0 Ratings
bwgeezer
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks for the advice (especially on a sat evening!) , next question. .. how do I contact the BT helpdesk?

Cheers again
0 Ratings