Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 28

Ultra HD engineer install

When ordering ultra HD on line I get the engineer install for £44 which states, "In different rooms or too far apart to connect with a 10m cable". My tv is in a different room. How does an engineer connect my box to router when router is at back of house and living room tv is at front of house?
0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 28

Re: Ultra HD engineer install

@davgille7 wrote:
When ordering ultraHD on line I get the engineer install for£44 which states, "In different rooms or too far apart to connect with a10m cable". Mytv is in a different room. How does an engineer connect my box to router when router is at back of house and living roomtv is at front of house?

With a longer ethernet cable I would assume as BT are quite clear that they do not support powerlines with Ultra HD.

You might find they also wish to drill holes in order to run the cable between rooms.

Why not call BT and ask what this installation will entail?

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 28

While they don't support powerline adapters I can confirm that they do work with the UHD box. I have the devolo av1200 speed ones but tp-link also do cheaper equivalent speed home plugs. For the speed required you had best stick to av1200 speed ones.
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 28

@zarf2007 wrote:
While they don't supportpowerline adapters I can confirm that they do work with theUHD box. I have thedevoloav1200 speed ones buttp-link also do cheaper equivalent speed home plugs. For the speed required you had best stick toav1200 speed ones.

However the installer is only allowed to run a cable between HomeHub and YouView Ultra box - there are people in other forums who have found this out. Also, just because powerline adaptors work in somebody's home doesn't mean that they will work for everybody. Cable is always best if possible.

0 Ratings
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 28

True, however i doubt many people would want a cat 5 cable along their skirting board...
0 Ratings
MenaceF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

I have an engineer coming on Thursday to install Ultra HD for me.

I have a 500mbps Homeplug next to the place I want to install it.  The HomeHub is right at the other end of the house, and there's no way he's putting an ethernet cable through the middle of my house.

I plan to insist that he tries the homeplug first, and if it works, I just saved him a ton of work.

If it doesn't work, I'm going to insist he installs an extension phone socket next to my TV, and run the cable around the outside of my house.

I'll report back to this thread to let you know how I get on.  :-)

Seriously though, I see no reason why they can't use homeplugs.  Providing they can deliver th 30mbps needed for Ultra HD, (and I've tested mine at over 80mbps) what's the problem?

Scott

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 7 of 28

@zarf2007 wrote:
True, however i doubt many people would want a cat 5 cable along their skirting board...

Tuck it under the carpet edge, fit some small adhesive box conduit the same colour as the skirting board, run it behind furniture, through a wall, ceiling or flooring into an adjacent inconspicuous room/area and then back again and so on, there are quite a few acceptable solutions available to most people, but you have to work it all out before the fitter arrives, or persuade him to leave it running loose then sort it out yourself afterwards (always my preference).

Let's face it, most people have had similar problems to solve in the past with their telephone cables, I found that the BT engineers' cable tacks made them more noticeable, hence my use of conduit in all visible places, going back 25 years. I have 6 satellite, ethernet and telephone cables running from end to end of my 25 foot lounge-diner but most people would never know.

Wouldn't touch a powerline or wifi connection with a bargepole, just call me Cable Guy. Smiley Very Happy

Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 28

@MenaceF1 wrote:

I have an engineer coming on Thursday to install Ultra HD for me.

I have a 500mbps Homeplug next to the place I want to install it.  The HomeHub is right at the other end of the house, and there's no way he's putting an ethernet cable through the middle of my house.

I plan to insist that he tries the homeplug first, and if it works, I just saved him a ton of work.

If it doesn't work, I'm going to insist he installs an extension phone socket next to my TV, and run the cable around the outside of my house.

I'll report back to this thread to let you know how I get on.  :-)

Seriously though, I see no reason why they can't use homeplugs.  Providing they can deliver th 30mbps needed for Ultra HD, (and I've tested mine at over 80mbps) what's the problem?

Scott

I would assume the issue would be that BT Retail - AFAIK - seem to mandate a cable install for UHD - to make sure that UHD customers have the best experience possible.

The installer will be told to cable it. If they don't do this and the customer has any future issues with UHD I would suspect that this would cause the installer a problem with their employer.

Put simply, bending the rules may be more hassle than it is worth for the installer.

0 Ratings
MenaceF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Yes, I do suspect this is more of a PR mandate rather than a technical one. BT execs keen to avoid any "BT Sport UHD is rubbish" stories. Especially as (without meaning to sound arrogant) most BT customers aren't as technically experienced as I consider myself to be.

My plan B is to let him do whatever he needs to do, and I can always switch it to Homeplugs after he's gone providing it works.
0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 28

Let us know how you get yours fitted on Thursday please. I am holding off ordering until I know if home plugs work ok as I'm not having an Ethernet cable trailing all along my skirting boards. I've done a speed check on router and home plug in living room and get the same speed result, so I don't see why home plugs would not work. Thanks
0 Ratings