cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zarf2007
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 28

Re: Ultra HD engineer install

The higher rate (1200Mbps) homeplugs do work as I have them running from the main socket in my hall to the living room UHD box and a normal G4 box in my bedroom. My wiring is 20 years old. Tbh while 500/600Mbps homeplugs might work I would get the fastest speed plugs available (look at the TP-Link range) as they dont cost much more and leave you more than enough bandwidth for watching UHD while recording in HD and using an extra box(if you have it) without breaking a sweat, theoretically you may start to max out slower homeplugs....

0 Ratings
MenaceF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 28

The engineer has just been, and gone already, and hasn't done a thing.

He told me that because I'm on BT Infinity 1 (max speed 39Mbps) I can't get BT Ultra HD.

This is the first I've heard of this!

I'm utterly furious and currently on hold to BT to try to sort this mess out.

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 28

Well that doesn't make sense as they sell UHD packages with Infinity 1 up to 38mb????? http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv-packages/?s_cid=con_FURL_ultrahd
0 Ratings
MenaceF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 28

I know it doesn't make sense.  That's why I'm so furious.

Either the engineer is mistaken, or BT are letting people order invalid service combinations...

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 28

the engineer is mistaken IF your line is capable of 44Mbps or more (Infinity 1 is capped at 38Mbps but if your line is still physically capable of faster speeds you can still have the Ultra service on Infinity 1). A BT spokesperson also noted that Infinity 1 customers will be able to order BT TV Ultra HD if their line is “technically capable” of supporting 44Mbps.
0 Ratings
MenaceF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 28

I've just had an entertaining 45 minutes on the phone to BT.

This is the conclusion...

The engineer WAS mistaken.

Apparently he's a contractor and they'd not been given correct training.

He's coming back this afternoon to have another go.

With regards to the cabling debate, it does look like he's going to put an ethernet lead in, but he's going to go around the OUTSIDE of my house rather than through the middle of it.

Oh, and I'm getting my £44 installation refunded too!  🙂

I'll give another update once he's (hopefully) turned up to install it.

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 28

Thanks for keeping us informed. I wouldn't mind a cable going around the outside of my house rather than all over the house
0 Ratings
MenaceF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 28

The engineer was here for two hours, but I'm pleased to say we're all done, and I am Ultra-HDed up baby!

I got the area manager this time, and he was a lot more knowledagble than the first chap.

I talked to him about homeplugs at length.

He said first of all, that BT don't allow them to use them, so from that point of view, it's not an option.  

He also explained that while you might get the required bandwidth out of them (44Mb if you want to record Ultra-HD, and watch HD at the same time) the problem you'll get is drop off due to signal noise.  ie - Switch on the kettle, create a spike and a temporary loss of signal.  Probably unnoticable if you're sufring the web, or even watching HD, but in UHD, you'll probabably lose the picture entirely for a second or so.  Enough to be very irritating.

He was very flexible about where to put the cable, and was happy to put it around the outside of my house.

The cable is basically Cat 5a, but a special outdoor cable that is resistant to weather.  He did a very neat job, tucking it to the bottom of my house, and put the hole in the wall right in the corner behind a curtain where it's hidden.

So, while today caused a lot of grief, and too much time on the phone to customer services, I'm actaully very happy with the outcome.

Now to watch the Community Shield in UHD on Sunday.  🙂

Scott

TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 28

It's not so much the drop off. It the multicast protocals themselves.

Multicast is UDP, UDP packets you can't request a re-transmission of a UDP packet. if you get a bad you get a bad packet. even on a cheep CCA ethernet cable ( basically a cheeper non spec cable nut generally they work for most people), if your using a gigabit port, your bound to get bad packets and glitches on your BT TV. The Included cable with the ultra HD box is a decent quality sheilded cable for a very good reason!!

So this whole BT crusade is an effort from BT to use good cabling and good practices in order to stop glitching. The only thing they missed is that, it would be better you use a 100mbps port instead, the cable won't be driven so hard and it'll run with even fewer packet drops, unless your on infinity 3 and can actually record over 100mbps of channels at once, gigabit ethernet should be avoided.

On a HH5 i'd stick a 100mbps switch in line to drop the speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 28

I was under the impression that a non-gigabit device connected to a gigabit port will result in a normal 100Mbps connection being established, so the cable wouldn't be pushed hard and there is no need for any extra switch?

If the UHD box is a non-gigabit device as I thought other BT TV boxes are then surely it shouldn't matter which HomeHub port it is connected to?
0 Ratings