Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nujol
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Ultra HD installation today - advice

Hi everyone, first post...

We had the YouView+ Ultra HD box installed today (new BT customers). I was out but my wife was in. I've just come home to find that the new router and the Ultra HD box have just been plugged in to either end of an old 100mbps Powerline network that I was planning to get rid of?

I was under the impression that a high-quality direct gigabit connection would be made between router and box, not just plugging into an old and slow existing Powerline network.

I can't check just now but all information suggests this will be insufficient for Ultra HD - and it doesn't match what is described as happening during the installation?

Can anyone advise please?

Thank you
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Nujol
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Ultra HD installation today - advice

Also the BT player button on the remote does nothing....?
0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

You may need to run a software update to properly activate the BT Player and its button, the installer should have done that.

On the wiring, power line adapters will work but he should have fitted a new cable and I'd suggest calling BT to complain. OTOH your wife presumably signed the job sheet and/or failed to raise any objection at the time. Agreeing the work is acceptable is why BT insists on an adult being present.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 14

Hi Nujol,

Please PM me your details and I will look into this for you.
0 Ratings
Nujol
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Thanks 4KMarty, my wife says no job sheet signed. She left the chap to get on with it and five minutes later he said it was done, showed her BBC1 on Freeview, said the box wasn't doing updates but it should do them "in the next few hours" (8 hours later nothing seems to have happened on that front eg BT Player button still doesn't work).

Also the really long gigabit cable that came with the router seems to have gone completely.

Can't be sure of connection quality yet but iPlayer is a little choppy i.e. will occasionally buffer.

Speedtest on laptop via wifi gives a beautiful 48 down 13 up so no problem on connection speed.

LaurenRachel - that would be great BUT I signed up via Topcashback and in their T&C's to get £155 cashback it says the cashback will be lost if I contact BT about the order....?
0 Ratings
Nujol
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Ps bt.stage.lithium.com what is that, log in box for it keeps popping up on this site??!
0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

@Nujol wrote:
Thanks 4KMarty, my wife says no job sheet signed. She left the chap to get on with it and five minutes later he said it was done, showed her BBC1 on Freeview, said the box wasn't doing updates but it should do them "in the next few hours" (8 hours later nothing seems to have happened on that front eg BT Player button still doesn't work).

Also the really long gigabit cable that came with the router seems to have gone completely.

Can't be sure of connection quality yet but iPlayer is a little choppy i.e. will occasionally buffer.

Speedtest on laptop via wifi gives a beautiful 48 down 13 up so no problem on connection speed.

LaurenRachel - that would be great BUT I signed up via Topcashback and in their T&C's to get £155 cashback it says the cashback will be lost if I contact BT about the order....?

By default the box will only check for software updates overnight (it's about 2-4am) to prevent your viewing being interrupted.

The updates check for new software - though this should also happen on first activatation - and also any updates to your subscription to activate the extra pay channels / BT Player.

You can force this by going to the settings menu and updating manually. However if the install was only today it's possible the order won't have completed as yet and not everything will activate until it has.

I don't recall a very long cable coming with mine TBH, I use powerline adapters and they work fine but if you paid for an install you're entitled to an install. 

Quick edit: Re the  BT Player - if you press the blue (Y) button so you see a BT icon on the onscreen menu? If not, or if you do but it's dull and cannot be accessed, this means the box needs to do the software / configuration update discussed above. 

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Topcashback will only be concerned if your order wasn't completed online. If you look at your order at BT.com/mybt if it shows as being complete you should be ok. I assume LaurenRachel will be looking into a fault/complaint with your completed order?
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Although you should contact TCB directly if you are in any doubt!
0 Ratings
Nujol
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Thanks folks, really impressed with your quick and supportive replies.

So I forced an update and BT Player is there and working this morning. But a bit surprising after 16 years with Sky where everything just works flawlessly, immediately.

Not been able to check the speed / connection however because the HD channels / 4K channels have a blank screen and if I wait long enough I get an error code IPC6011... Any thoughts on that please?

It feels as if either HD channels haven't been activated or there is some underlying problem eg the connection is not fast enough.

Thanks ago really appreciate the help 🙂
0 Ratings