Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EgreBot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 32

Re: Unable to order Ultra HD

Go to solution
Sky's new service is supposed to use your internet over satellite, even for live streams.

This is of course mainly rumours, but I suspect they will launch it to people with certain speeds to begin with to make sure things work fine when out in the wild. It's one thing working well in trials/labs but another thing in the home.
0 Ratings
Smithy2483
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 32

Go to solution

What's puzzling now that new BT customers can purchase Ultra HD on Infinity 1 up to 38mb??

image.jpeg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 32

Go to solution
On Infinity 1 your internet for normal usage is limited to around 38Mbps, but the separate multicast TV can make use of the extra available capability of the line if necessary.
So it doesn't matter if on Infinity 1 or 2, for the UHD TV package your line must support at least 44Mbps. That's how I understand it anyway from previous threads.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 32

Go to solution
@EgreBot

What do you mean by "your internet over satellite"?
0 Ratings
EgreBot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 32

Go to solution
I meant, they would use your internet to deliver content live or ondemand.
0 Ratings
Smithy2483
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 32

Go to solution
@umpire

Cheers, makes sense 😢 No further forward in getting UHD content
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 32

Go to solution
If Sky are going to deliver live UHD channels over the broadband connection then I assume they will use a multicast IPTV set up like BT? In that case the 50Mbps would seem similar to the BT 44Mbps requirement.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 32

Go to solution
Keep an eye on your wholesale checker results as they can change over time, though normally if anything they go down as more people take up fibre broadband and crosstalk increases. 😞

Other than that unless BT reduce the 44Mbps requirement it looks like you are stuck with no live UHD for now? Annoying given your actual connection speed! You could always ask BT again just to confirm the situation I suppose.
0 Ratings
Smithy2483
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 32

Go to solution

I'll probably wait until after 18 Nov and see what Sky announce. If still no UHD football then I'll be waiting for UHD Blu-Ray's for my 4K experience 

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 30 of 32

Go to solution

Hi @Smithy2483,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry to hear you have been unable to place an order for our UHD content.  I can appreciate the disappointment and it probably makes it worse when BT have been unable to explain the reason behind this.

I suspect that it may have something to do with what your speed estimate is for your line.  Unfortunately when ordering UHD we rely on the speed estimate of your line, and not the actual current speed rate of your line.  So while you are getting over 50MB in real terms, if the our speed estimate does not reflect this then it can prevent an order.

I cant make any promises but I would like to take a look at this for you.  At the very least I will be able to offer a full explanation of why we cant supply this.  Could you please drop me an email?  Just click on my username (SeanD) and you will find our contact link under the 'About me' section of my profile.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings