Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adlopa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 29

Re: Unable to receive BBC 4 HD after Freeview retune

Go to solution

So this has now been solved. The problem? I had the wrong aerial, after all.

Two different pairs of Freeview-arranged engineers and one independent auditor all failed to spot this, despite the symptom being typical of having the wrong aerial. Perhaps because none of them actually got on the roof to look at it – it 'looked' OK from the ground and so the inexplicable signal test results could only be the fault of the YouView box... 

Today's engineer and auditor combo (different again) noticed the problem after getting on the roof to initially replace the old aerial cabling – the only 'solution' the previous auditor was able to recommend. 

Quite a palaver for what appears to be a blindingly obvious problem that no one thought to check properly... 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

@Adlopa Thanks for keeping the thread updated with the solution. I'm glad you got it sorted in the end. 

0 Ratings
f1charlie
Contributor
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution
Do you have to pay for the replacement aerial?

COM7 had gone missing for me, but has reappeared without doing a retune.
0 Ratings
Adlopa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

No – restoring service when lost after a retune is free. Just give Freeview a call.

0 Ratings
f1charlie
Contributor
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution
Thanks, as the missing channels have reappeared I don't need to at the moment.
0 Ratings
beanwalls
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm also in the Crystal Palace transmitter area and have been having the same problems with BBC4 HD for a while now. I get about 30% quality and signal strength and it drops in and out to the point of being unwatchable most of the time. I lost BBC News 24 HD  completely when retuning and even though BBC4 HD is still there, it might as well not be.

What can I do about this? Did I hear something about this being sorted out by Freeview for free? 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

@beanwallswrote:

Hi All,

I'm also in the Crystal Palace transmitter area and have been having the same problems with BBC4 HD for a while now. I get about 30% quality and signal strength and it drops in and out to the point of being unwatchable most of the time. I lost BBC News 24 HD  completely when retuning and even though BBC4 HD is still there, it might as well not be.

What can I do about this? Did I hear something about this being sorted out by Freeview for free? 

You need to contact Freeview/Digital UK who have a responsibility to ensure no one loses services/programmes following a retune.  You will be entitled to a free aerial upgrade providing you don’t have any other means of receiving the missing channels e.g. Sky/Freesat.

TVrepairman
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for the update. The problem is that aerials are rated for different groups of frequencies. For best results you need to use an aerial that is best-suited to the local transmitter that your using. For example, if all the TV Multiplexes are broadcaster in the range CH21-CH37 then a group B aerial gives the strongest signal but it won't pick up any higher frequencies, so if the Mux frequencies change significantly your perfectly good aerial may no longer be suitable.

Large retailers typically sell "wide band" aerials which pick up the whole spectrum but aren't necessarily the best for your transmitter (being a "jack of all trades").

A good TV engineer will test the signal strength of each Mux but this requires expensive test equipment. Many use simple signal meteres which doesn't test the individual Mux frequencies.

The signal strength and quality display in the YouView box is actually very good and by tabulating the Mux frequencies with the signal level of a channel on that Mux you can get a good view of what is happening. 

Note, the signal level is a true measurement of the signal level and the quality measurement is the signal to noise ratio (strictly the carrier to noise ratio). The quality is much more important than the signal level. You may receive a high signal level but have a high degree of noise, e.g. due to a poor co-ax downlead or interference from nearby HDMI cables, computers or other sources of electrical noise.

There's some excellent information about aerials at **Edited**

0 Ratings
TVrepairman
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for the update. The problem is that aerials are rated for different groups of frequencies. For best results you need to use an aerial that is best-suited to the local transmitter that you're using. For example, if all the TV Multiplexes are broadcast in the range CH21-CH37 then a group B aerial gives the strongest signal but it won't pick up any higher frequencies, so if the Mux frequencies change significantly your perfectly good aerial may no longer be suitable.

Large retailers typically sell "wide band" aerials which pick up the whole spectrum but aren't necessarily the best for your transmitter (being a "jack of all trades").

A good TV engineer will test the signal strength of each Mux but this requires expensive test equipment. Many use simple signal meters which doesn't test the individual Mux frequencies.

The signal strength and quality display in the YouView box is actually very good and by tabulating the Mux frequencies with the signal level of a channel on that Mux you can get a good view of what is happening. 

Note, the signal level is a true measurement of the signal level and the quality measurement is the signal to noise ratio (strictly the carrier to noise ratio). The quality is much more important than the signal level. You may receive a high signal level but have a high degree of noise, e.g. due to a poor co-ax downlead or interference from nearby HDMI cables, computers or other sources of electrical noise.

There's some excellent information about aerials at http://www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html (scroll down to the aerial gain graph) 

Fortunately, Freeview will pay for replacement aerial installation if you lose channels after a retune (edit) providing you have no other means of receiving the channel, e.g. FreeSat or Sky. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

@TVrepairmanwrote:

Fortunately, Freeview will pay for replacement aerial installation if you lose channels after a retune. 

As said in previous posts re: the above - so long as you have no other means of receiving the channels e.g. Sky/Freesat.

Log Periodic is a good choice for many.

0 Ratings