cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stk31
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Unhappy new customer

I've had the Youview box for about 3 weeks now, previously had Sky+ since it was launched, and therefore very comfortable with the way their box works and what it can do, I've also used on demand like iplayer through my tv for a year or so and never once had any buffering issues.

The youview box constantly stops whilst playing on demand content, iplayer, 4od and ch5 players all regularly stop for 10 - 15 seconds buffering, also BT vision player once or twice. I can play the exact same content through my tv without ever having that problem. I have infinity and always have download speeds between 25 - 36 mbps. Even when the box freezes I check the dowload speed on my ipad and have still have constant broadband speeds. Therefore the box or software has to be at fault.

I also have series links recording programmes across differing channels, I set something on ch5 with a series link and it'll record on 5* another programme, same happens occasionally on ch4. I've also lost programmes off my planner that have been set to record.

I also have the skip button continuing to the end of the programme after a single press and nothing seems to stop it. I have reset the box a couple of times to no benefit at all.

The box occasionally switches the tv (Sony Bravia) on when it comes on, something that is supposed to happen every time, I've not had any issues with other boxes connected previously.

All these problems I've read about in differing threads on here, the box should be so much better and ready for the market than this, I want it to work and am very patient, but the way it is at present makes it so difficult to want to keep it. It does not do the basic functions properly therefore it's not fit for purpose.

Can anyone reassure me that this isn't the norm and I'm an isolated case, I don't expect it to work 100% all the time but the basic functionality is so poor at times it does your head in.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
kryten22uk
Contributor
Message 2 of 26

Re: Unhappy new customer

I have the same feelings as you.  Its such a shock coming from Sky where the hardware and software had been faultless, quality, and user friendly.  Then coming to BT Vision where it is very clearly in a different league.  Faults, bugs and blatant usability errors.  Maybe they use cheap providers behind the scenes, maybe they cut corners on software development and testing, maybe both.  But they really need to get their act together.  If I hadnt come from Sky, then I wouldnt find it nearly as frustrating, as I wouldnt have experience how things can be done.  Certain things may well be minor, but nonetheless, niggles which should not be there in such a provider as BT.

stk31
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

I do love what the box should be able to do, I'm even fairly happy with the on demand content from BT Vision, not having had Sky Movies for 5 years or so I have plenty of films available to catch up on that I've not seen.

I owe nothing to Sky, I feel they've been over priced for so long and I thought the package I got from BT was great value in these tough times, but I'm also realistic with my views that it'll not be as good as Sky and a step down in some respects, but the basics should be so much better than this, who actually tests these things before they go to market?.

drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 26

@stk31 wrote:

I've had the Youview box for about 3 weeks now, previously had Sky+ since it was launched, and therefore very comfortable with the way their box works and what it can do, I've also used on demand like iplayer through my tv for a year or so and never once had any buffering issues.

The youview box constantly stops whilst playing on demand content, iplayer, 4od and ch5 players all regularly stop for 10 - 15 seconds buffering, also BT vision player once or twice. I can play the exact same content through my tv without ever having that problem. I have infinity and always have download speeds between 25 - 36 mbps. Even when the box freezes I check the dowload speed on my ipad and have still have constant broadband speeds. Therefore the box or software has to be at fault.

I also have series links recording programmes across differing channels, I set something on ch5 with a series link and it'll record on 5* another programme, same happens occasionally on ch4. I've also lost programmes off my planner that have been set to record.

I also have the skip button continuing to the end of the programme after a single press and nothing seems to stop it. I have reset the box a couple of times to no benefit at all.

The box occasionally switches the tv (Sony Bravia) on when it comes on, something that is supposed to happen every time, I've not had any issues with other boxes connected previously.

All these problems I've read about in differing threads on here, the box should be so much better and ready for the market than this, I want it to work and am very patient, but the way it is at present makes it so difficult to want to keep it. It does not do the basic functions properly therefore it's not fit for purpose.

Can anyone reassure me that this isn't the norm and I'm an isolated case, I don't expect it to work 100% all the time but the basic functionality is so poor at times it does your head in.

Don't forget that the Sky boxes have been around for many years now and they had their fair share of issues when they first came out.

I have a Sony Bravia TV as well and it switches on every time when I turn on the YouView box. I know that YouView improved the way that this feature works in the last few updates, so hopefully this will improve again.

The Skip forward function issue is known about and should be fixed in the next update, although there is no date on when this will be yet.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Hi all

We also have Sky, which my wife believes to be hers.  With that in mind I thought BT Youview would provide me with my own PVR and prevent recording clashes etc.

After 24 hours I'm begining to think I may have made the wrong decision, and after reading some of the comments on this forum my suspicions are becoming more real.

So far, and this is very much a brief history of the past 24 hours:

Yesterday I received my new Youview box and an email from BT confirming that " Your BT Vision service is ready for you".

Notwithstanding this I spent most of yesterday listening to "we're very busy' and distorted music. All I got from BT Tech Support was incorrect information, stupid suggestions, like unplug the aerial and plug it back in, to fix a completely unrelated problem and broken promises that I would be called back.

I finally overcome most of the problems myself and have been promised a new remote to try and resolve one problem and a, waste of time aerial check, to resolve another.

Today I received a call from the aerial company to book the aerial check, this is being paid for by BT and is to check if my aerial, which supplies a perfect set of signals to my 50" smart Panasonic TV. The check is to ascertain if the aerial is the reason why the Humax box displays duplicate channels.

Moving on, the user guide is very poor, e.g. it says "Go to Settings'. But there's no 'Menu' button and it's only by hunting around that you eventually discover where the 'Settings' are hidden.  It also suggest you go to bt.com/help/remote to see a full list of brands and codes. There are hundreds of brands listed, however Panasonic is only conspicious by its absence!

The Humax display is only visible in the dark and Tech support said I would have to dial a premium rate number to speak with Humax about this.

This morning, when the Youview box was switched to BT Vision, a warning was displayed on the screen, informing me that I'm not registered, which is bizarre as I have an email in front of me, telling me that I am. The warning helpfully provided a phone number (0800-800-900) which unhelpfully connected me, after 15 minutes of "we're very busy" and distorted music to a BT Corporate Accounts Department!

I was transferred, but only after another 20 minutes of "we're very busy" and more distorted music, was I informed "sorry one department hasn't informed another department that you're registered", but I will sort it out for you and call you back within 3 hours without fail, honest.

Well that was well over 4 hours ago and I'm currently still waiting.  I know, from experience, that when I call again no one will know anything about my call, or the promise and once again I will realise that I should have demanded, you have to demand, a reference number.

Something about organising an event in a brewery springs to mind.

Rant over, but writing this has at least stopped me, for the time being, asking for my money back.

Cheers Noel

0 Ratings
totalmess
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 26

do a factory restore of the box and manualy update it when reinstalled ,i had same problem when i got my box not been a bit of trouble scince .BT was as much use as a choclate fireguard .

0 Ratings
dvknw
Beginner
Message 7 of 26

I have been getting similar issues with BT youview, I also switched from Sky!, playback on BT vision content is becoming unwatchable - sound keeps stopping, picture pixilating, programme stopping completely (then you have to find the point at which the programme stopped) there are no problems with my broadband speed so it must be the box which is less than 3 months old... Sorry but not good enough BT - very tempted to return to SKY

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 26

@dvknw wrote:

I have been getting similar issues with BT youview, I also switched from Sky!, playback on BT vision content is becoming unwatchable - sound keeps stopping, picture pixilating, programme stopping completely (then you have to find the point at which the programme stopped) there are no problems with my broadband speed so it must be the box which is less than 3 months old... Sorry but not good enough BT - very tempted to return to SKY

The problem you are describing is unlikely to be a box issue and is almost certainly a connection or broadband issue. Can you describe how you have things setup please? e.g. where is your box and router, do you use powerline adapters, are you using surge protectors?  Do you know how fast your internet connection is?

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

RE restore, all done, no difference

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Still got sky, it's the wife's, thought having the two would prevent recording clashes. I'm getting there, but after 4 days they still haven't managed to get BT Vision to accept that I'm registered even though I have 4 email saying it's ready.

0 Ratings