cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GillOSI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Unreliable BT Sport/Extra channels, broadband extenders, connection keeps dropping out

Hoping for some advice please on an irritating intermittent fault.

We're very longstanding BT customers with BT phone, BT broadband and BT TV packages.   We have Unlimited Broadband Infinity 2 with a BT YouView box.

As our router (BT Smarthub 6) is a long way from the YouView box we have always had to use broadband extenders - currently the BT Flex 500.  In the past these gave us a very reliable connection for the extra channels and BT Sport -but this is no longer the case.

A few weeks ago we renewed our BT contract and upgraded to the Entertainment Max HD pack with BT Sport HD. Since then the broadband connection to the YouView box has been dropping out intermittently, and this is now becoming so frequent that it is impossible to guarantee that we can watch BT Sport or any of the extra channels without interruption. The connection will suddenly drop out, we get the standard 'connection lost' error messages and it can take between 10 and 30 minutes for it to come back. We've tried rebooting the router and the hub when this happens, but this doesn't seem to make much difference. It will come back in its own time - but this is very frustrating when trying to watch a live match on BT Sport. Throughout this period of  'lost connection' our hub light remains blue, the broadband extender lights remain on and we can still access wifi on our laptops and computer with no problem.

I note that others on this forum have had similar issues using broadband extenders so am assuming that these are the source of the problem.  A couple of questions:

- When we renewed our BT contract a few weeks ago, no-one asked us about our set-up or warned us that we would have any problems using our current extenders.  Do we need to upgrade these to a newer, faster version?  Or will this not make much difference?

- Hardwiring the hub to the YouView box would be tricky because of the layout of our house.  I think we would need to use external cabling and take it round the outside of the house. Not something I would want to consider until all else has failed. But has anyone else done this?

Would appreciate any advice as at the moment we don't feel we are getting value for money with our BT package.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unreliable BT Sport/Extra channels, broadband extenders, connection keeps dropping out

@GillOSI I'm really sorry to read about the problems with your BT TV service, it does sound like it could be the powerline adapters at fault here.  Have you tried a factory reset on them yet?

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
GillOSI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Unreliable BT Sport/Extra channels, broadband extenders, connection keeps dropping out

Thanks for your reply Neil.
No I haven't tried a factory reset on the extenders recently. I had assumed that if all the lights were on on both then they were functioning correctly. I will reset them over the weekend and report back.
0 Ratings
GillOSI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I did a factory re-set on the broadband extenders a few days ago as requested.  Managed to watch BT Sport HD for about an hour afterwards before the connection failed. The lost connection was restored after a few minutes.  Same issue yesterday watching a catch up programme on iplayer. Programme was only an hour long yet it was interrupted twice by the connection dropping out. The problem has been getting steadily worse over the past few months but is intermittent and you can't predict when it will occur.

I would reiterate that, when the connection between the YouView box and the hub is lost, we still have wifi access on other devices so I am pretty confident the extenders are the issue here.

Where do we go from here?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@GillOSI That does sound like the extenders at fault but one way to be sure would be to connect directly via ethernet just to make sure. If they are out of warranty I'm afraid we would be unable to replace for free. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
GillOSI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks Neil.  I will need to get a very long cable to do the test.

Our extenders are BT Flex 500. They were sent to us free of charge by BT in June 2016 and have a 3 year warranty. They were a replacement for the ones we had originally bought from BT (200mbps) which proved to be inadequate  when we upgraded from the old BT Vision box to Youview with HD and BT extra channels. (We'd had a lot of problems after renewing our contract as call-centre staff didn't seem to understand what was required  and we were given the wrong information about what would work). So the Flex 500 ones we are using are still under warranty.  I note that they are no longer on sale though - why is this?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @GillOSI,

Where did you order the Flex 500's from? Was it through the BT Shop? I only ask as they used to come with a 12 month warranty. They have since been discontinued as we offer different extenders now.

If you believe they are at fault please go to the following page:

Broadband Extender 500 Flex

On that page it contains the Product helpdesk information where you can call or email them for help.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
GillOSI
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

No I didn't order them. I had no idea I needed them. They were sent out to me by your complaints team when we couldn't get the extra channels to work properly after we had upgraded to a Youview box.Flex 500 warranty.jpg And as you can see from the link you've just given me , the warranty on the BT Flex 500 is for 3 years not just 1.

It seems that BT are selling the extra channel  /BT Sport packages to people like us without really knowing / caring whether they work properly or not.  If the only way one can get a reliable connection in the long term is to hard wire, then customers should be told that categorically from the outset.

Feeling pretty cheesed off, to be honest.

0 Ratings