cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wardy101
Message 1 of 7

Using a wifi bridge with BT TV

I have a Netgear N300 wifi extender which I'd like to use as a bridge to my Bt tv box to avoid 10m+ of ethernet cable running across the house.  I've set the extender up and plugged in the ethernet cable, however the BT box says there is no broadband connection.  The exenter is paired with the homehub ok as i can connect devices to it over wifi and I've set the same password up on the extender as on the home hub.

Has anyone any idea why this isnt working?

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Using a wifi bridge with BT TV

The BT YouView box will not work over a wifi link, you need the BT Mini Connectors which are supplied at a reduced rate to BT Vision cutomers.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 3 of 7

Hi @wardy101,

If you want to drop me a pm with your landline numbers, I can sort getting some mini connectors for you. Save you having to ring up. Thank you.

BT TV ExpertGemma_P
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 4 of 7

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

The BT YouView box will not work over a wifi link, you need the BT Mini Connectors which are supplied at a reduced rate to BT Vision cutomers.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

Sorry Keith you're wrong

I use a Netgear 300Mbps Wifi extender for my YouView box.  It has an ethernet outlet and that connects to the YV box (actually through a 6 way switch) and works it fine 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Sorry Keith you're wrong

I use a Netgear 300Mbps Wifi extender for my YouView box.  It has an ethernet outlet and that connects to the YV box (actually through a 6 way switch) and works it fine 

Does that include all the extra subscribed channels that are delivered over multicast, as I know it will work with the normal apps?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 6 of 7

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Sorry Keith you're wrong

Does that include all the extra subscribed channels that are delivered over multicast, as I know it will work with the normal apps?

I don't know (I don't use any subscription channels on the YV box) but suspect they do.  Same link was used earlier today to watch a BBC programme on catch up, has been used to watch Amazon prime both through the YV box.  Also  (through the ethernet switch) it feeds multiple boxes that do receive subscription content via internet

What I suggest the OP does is connect a PC to the ethernet output of the Netgear link, turn off PC WiFi and see if that allows internet access through the PC

If it does: the issue os downstream of the Netgear booster

If it doesn't it's in the WiFi linking to the Netgear booster - there used be a WiFi network visible with an 'Ext' added to the base network name

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Its the content that is delivered over Multicast that would not work. Like BT Sport, and all of the extra subscription channels, that would not work.

The BBC iPlayer, the other catchup palyers, Amazon, Netflix etc, will work over wireless, as they are Unicast streams.

0 Ratings