Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saintviking
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

VIP package + possible slow down on other devices

Hi,

I'm a newbie, so please treat me gently.

I have been with Sky for 17 years, but now due to finance (and poor new deal offered by Sky), I am considering going over to BT VIP package with an extra box for two room usage. The Sky package still uses a dish as we don't have a Q box set up. 

We have a BT Smart Hub, but with a family of four there are numerous devices permanently connected to it (ipads+phones+laptops). The download speed averages just over 70 mbps.

So, if both TV's have VIP programmes in HD on them, am I likely to have glitches/slow down/freezing on any or all of the other devices connected to the hub ?? - I don't want to hop over to BT and be in a worse position than I am now.

Also is it true that all BT boxes have to be hard wired to the router - that could be a problem for us

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: VIP package + possible slow down on other devices

One thing to remember before any other scenario is that BTTV requires an outdoor aerial, a satellite dish is no good.

0 Ratings
Saintviking
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for that

Yes we have an aerial,  but would I need to split it over the two rooms for both BT TV boxes ?? 

0 Ratings
nostra999
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Hey,

yes as mentioned the bt tv boxes are quite different to sky Q first of all they are standalone - so a multi room subscription essentially means you have two boxes but they don't work with each other eg recordings can't be watched in different rooms.

i have fibre about 50mb and I use them in two rooms HD generally fine - the only thing I would consider is recording multiple items on multiple boxes while using your internet but that is going to be a bit trial and error. I believe with the bt tv channel service it has priority so will cut down the speed of other services so your tv will continue to operate.

you will need an aerial point in both rooms you want it run if you want free view channels on both - as mentioned above the boxes are essentially standalone .

The other thing to consider is that unlike sky Q there is no Wi-fi option so you would either need to use Ethernet or powerline adapters - both of which I am currently using. I believe that BT still subsidise powerline adapters when ordering.

its generally a good service but very different to sky Q probably explaining the cost savings you will see 👍

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

The BTTV boxes need a hard wired connection, WiFi isn't supported. There are mini connectors using your mains wiring to get around this issue, but if recording isn't needed you can just use the Now TV app to view live and on demand content on the 2nd box. 

0 Ratings
Saintviking
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

What brilliant replies - thank you so much.

We have aerial leads in both rooms and I already have a TP Link wi-fi extender with a built in ethernet socket (is that a suitable alternative to a powerline unit)

In light of your help, I think this is now down to a family discussion and likely switch over to BT

Cheers

0 Ratings
nostra999
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

It's technically possible to support third party equipment but it needs to support multicast (the technology that streams the tv channels over the internet).

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

@Saintvikingwrote:

What brilliant replies - thank you so much.

We have aerial leads in both rooms and I already have a TP Link wi-fi extender with a built in ethernet socket (is that a suitable alternative to a powerline unit)

In light of your help, I think this is now down to a family discussion and likely switch over to BT

Cheers

The WiFi extenders would be fine for the Now TV app on the Youview box, but will be problematic for the BTTV extra channels through the Youview box EPG as they use multicast not unicast.

0 Ratings
Saintviking
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

If we go for BT Tv I think I 'II play safe and get the powerline adaptors through BT. 

Its not worth the aggro I'd get from the family if after setting it all up, it didn't work !

0 Ratings