cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB99
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Viewing my BT TV without a licence.

With older people having to buy TV licence from June 1st many will not pay for something they do not wish to watch, however what you can and cannot watch from your TV aerial or the Web is a bit complex. Is there any way BT can have a selection of "No TV Licence" option which will bar all unpaid for channels.

I proposed same to Samsung TV but have heard no more.

A simple click would take away the worry for many pensioners who are confused by what you can and cannot watch.

This idea well publicised would boost the image of BT reacting to a problem and be good PR.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Viewing my BT TV without a licence.

Hi @JB99 

As far as I know anyone watching/recording/streaming any channel on any device will require a TV Licence. I's irrelevant whether a channel is paid for or not. 

0 Ratings
JB99
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

THE following services are still openly (and legally) available to you – as long as you aren’t using them to watch or stream live TV:
On demand TV – such as catch-up TV and on demand previews, which are available through services including ITV Player, All 4, My5, BT Vision/BT TV, Virgin Media, Sky Go, Now TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Amazon Fire TV. You can't watch or download programmes on BBC iPlayer without a TV licence.
On demand movies - from services such as Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.
Recorded films and programmes - either via DVD or Blu-ray, or downloaded from the internet.
YouTube - Video clips that aren't live through services such as YouTube.
0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Hi @JB99 

It is my understanding that it is very simple, if you watch or record any TV programme on any channel or stream broadcast LIVE then you need a TV License. It doesn’t matter if it is broadcast live or recorded from terrestrial, satellite or internet or on a TV, computer or mobile device. So apart from some streaming services that don’t broadcast live then virtually everything on BT TV requires a TV Licence. The exception being BBC iPlayer where everything requires a TV License.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Somehow I can't image many over 75s purely watching via catch-up only so your original question is a non starter, even if it were technically possible, which I doubt.

The problem is that the TV Licence is outdated but it is what it is, and my opinion is that even using catch-up only should require a licence. Either everyone pays or no-one does, trying to exempt a minority because they watch the same programmes delayed by x isn't worth it.

0 Ratings
JB99
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

This what I mean, imagine a 90 year old who is a bit unsure, worried about the BBC knocking on her door. It is very complex, there must be an easier way.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

@JB99wrote:
This what I mean, imagine a 90 year old who is a bit unsure, worried about the BBC knocking on her door. It is very complex, there must be an easier way.

I do know what you mean @JB99, my Mum is 87 and has dementia so I do understand.

The simple solution is for the BBC to get their act together.

0 Ratings