Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 20

Voice search on BT TV coming soon!

Hi, Everyone,

You may have noticed that at Noon today Youview announced that they will be rolling out voice search capability to YouView retail set-top boxes.  YouView customers will soon be able to search for TV shows and films using their voice and an Amazon Alexa-enabled device.

I am pleased to say that BT will also be making this new, innovative functionality available to BT TV customers.  I don’t have a date that I can share at this moment but we are hoping to make this available to our customers very soon.

As soon as I can share more details on when this will be, I will post back and let you know.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
19 REPLIES 19
Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Voice search on BT TV coming soon!

That's good @SeanD . But as BT are a major shareholder/stakeholder in Youview, why  do BT TV enhancements always come  "soon"?

Stew

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 20

@StewMwrote:

But as BT are a major shareholder/stakeholder in Youview, why  do BT TV enhancements always come  "soon"?

Stew

Custom changes from the Youview update, BT add their own stuff on top, code that needs wrote, tested and pushed out after YV have, would be my guess.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

@SeanDwrote:

You may have noticed that at Noon today Youview announced that they will be rolling out voice search capability to YouView retail set-top boxes. 

They announced the rollout to retail boxes on the 25th June. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 20

@stereohaven  Whilst Youview did introduce retail software to allow voice search back in June . I believe that was announced on the Youview community forum at the time.

Youview actually issued a press release about voice search yesterday July 15th

https://www.youview.com/2019/07/15/voice-search-youview-makes-even-easier-find-youre-looking/

That Youview press release yesterday does refer to it coming to BT boxes so it is refreshing to have @SeanD  notify this community so promptly.

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 20

@zulu17wrote:

@stereohaven  Whilst Youview did introduce retail software to allow voice search back in June . I believe that was announced on the Youview community forum at the time.

And all of their social media:

YV.PNGYouView on Twitter

@zulu17wrote:

...it is refreshing to have @SeanD  notify this community so promptly.

Now that we can agree on.

Don't go ordering loads of new Alexa devices in the Prime Day sales though, it is a bit of a gimmick that you soon get bored of!

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Personally I find voice control a bit gimmicky and it's often quicker to do it the old fashioned way, but each to their own.

13 to 14 years ago it was quicker pressing buttons in my car than talking to it, and it still is now with my current car.

I'll ask this question before someone else does, if a customer asks "Alexa, jump to time ……", will it roll around laughing at the top of its voice? 😀 (I don't need jump to time either).

scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 20

You might be surprised 😉

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

I am surprised that I didn't read the opening post properly, in that it will only be for searching for titles, in which case I would expect it to work quite well. Searching with a remote is a real pain so it'll be interesting to see how using voice search compares to using the app.

0 Ratings
ken2222
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 20

i was reading on the youview forum and it telling me it on the 2000 box now this is true ?

0 Ratings