cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DigitalDave
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

W channel always records short of finish time.

In the general run of things this is extremely minor, but irritating.

Has anyone else noticed when recording anything on W (BT/YouView box) that the recordings start and finish early, so the end is never there. AFAIK there is no way to edit the time as I can on my Panasonic DVD/HD recorder. any fixes other than also recording the next programme?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
ney
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: W channel always records short of finish time.

Its not just with W one or two other channels seem to do the same at times.

Darren

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Absolutely agree. My wife goes nuts as it has often cut off the last minute of masterchef Australia and she misses who has been put out and now it cuts the end of some life in an ambulance programme where it tells you the outcomes of the patients. We could be looking elsewhere if it continues :,(
0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 8

On Extra TV channels the box currently tries to record precisely from the scheduled start time to the scheduled end time as shown in the TV Guide. This means Extra TV programmes (channels 300-599) that overrun will be cut short but this shouldn't happen often and when it does it mostly happens on live sport channels. We're looking at ways to improve this.

You can check this on your box. If you record a 60 minute programme you can see the recording duration on the time bar when playing the recording. If the box has recorded the full 60 minutes then it is behaving as expected. If the end of the programme is missing then it's because the broadcaster transmitted the programme late causing it to overrun.

However, if the box has recorded less than it should according to the TV Guide (e.g. 50 minutes instead of 60), there could be various reasons for this:

1. Loss of power during the recording.

2. Recording clash, e.g. trying to record three programmes at the same time or trying to watch a third channel when two recordings are being made (both will display a warning).

There is another possibility that can confuse people. If you try to watch a programme while it is being recorded and fast forward through the adverts so you reach the live recording point, the box will also report "End of recording", meaning you can't watch any more at the moment, but the recording is still working. If this happens to you, you can either switch to the live view of the channel or wait a bit and then replay the recording from that point. I'm sorry that this is a bit confusing and we're looking at ways to improve it but once you know it is easy to avoid. The best option if you know you want to skip adverts is to wait a good 20 or 30  minutes after the programe has started before watching it so you won't catch up with the live recording point.

BT TV expertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

And of course there is the issue I always seem to have with recording internet channels. A 60 minute recording only records between 58 - 59 minutes and that's with the box in standby mode, no other recordings or any other activity going on. This has also been documented before by other users so you should add this as a point 3 on your post @PaulSk. No point ignoring the issues that are being reported out here in the real world.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@PaulSk wrote:

On Extra TV channels the box currently tries to record precisely from the scheduled start time to the scheduled end time as shown in the TV Guide. This means Extra TV programmes (channels 300-599) that overrun will be cut short but this shouldn't happen often and when it does it mostly happens on live sport channels. We're looking at ways to improve this.

There speaks someone who has not much experience of recording programmes from these channels!

I have just had a brilliant idea which no-one has ever thought of before:  How about allowing the user to manually extend the length of timers?  For live sport a timer which extends an hour or so past the scheduled end time might work.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

@gomezz wrote:

@PaulSk wrote:

There speaks someone who has not much experience of recording programmes from these channels!

I have just had a brilliant idea which no-one has ever thought of before:  How about allowing the user to manually extend the length of timers?  For live sport a timer which extends an hour or so past the scheduled end time might work.

And a so-called 'bt tv expert'. Where do BT find these 'experts'. The mind boggles Smiley Very Happy

Padding......it's not like it has never been requested in the last 5 years! There have been hundreds if not thousands of people demanding BT/Youview introduce padding since the early days of the service.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Yes Unfortunately that is a poor response. This AR system works poorly on the IP channels as they VERY often miss a minute or so of the end (I am starting to be able to tell from how much of the end I will miss by how much I see of the previous programme/adverts before the programme I want to watch starts).

@PaulSk please try recording programmes on 'W' on you will soon find this is a VERY prevalent issue and a LONG way from just live sports...I appreciate it may be mis running of the programmes on this channel but it still creates a poor user experience and will drive customers away from YouView (my wife would have dumped it a while ago if it was down to her). To watch an hour programme only to miss the last minute where some vital information is given drives you mad. Throughout the Masterchef Australia series on 'W' HD I would say we missed the ending 30% of the time.

0 Ratings