cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Piglet2
Message 1 of 9

What do I do if I want a BT box that records?

I recently got a package deal with a landline, broadband and TV and the box they sent doesn't record; I thought they all recorded?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: What do I do if I want a BT box that records?

@Piglet2 wrote:

I recently got a package deal with a landline, broadband and TV and the box they sent doesn't record; I thought they all recorded?

Depends on which one you selected, if its just the small one, then that is supplied on the basic package. The recordable one is a much larger rectangular box, and that does record.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43928/~/different-types-of-youview-boxes-from-bt

Which one do you have, as its probably just the mini one?

You should be able to upgrade.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

You have a choice really.

To get a recording Youview box from BT you need to buy one of their TV packages at whatever price they offer you.

Alternatively you could buy a BT Youview+ box off a well known auction site and use that instead of the zapper box they supplied you. You won't be able to record any of the BT TV channels with this option.

Firstly I'd call the Customer Options team on 0800 800 030 and see what they might offer.

Edit:

Just remembered that John Lewis & Currys sell these for £125  and a 2yr warranty at John Lewis.

If you don't want the BT TV channels this might be your best & cheapest option.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 9

You would need to upgrade your TV package and there is a one off £99 for a recordable box plus £9.99 postage, you can pay when you order or have the charge added to your next bill.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

@-Richie-wrote:

You would need to upgrade your TV package and there is a one off £99 for a recordable box plus £9.99 postage, you can pay when you order or have the charge added to your next bill.

When I look at my package on my BT account there's no upfront charge but £9.99 delivery & £10 per month.

0 Ratings
robc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

'Alternatively you could buy a BT Youview+ box off a well known auction site and use that instead of the zapper box they supplied you. You won't be able to record any of the BT TV channels with this option.'

That statement is not correct.

I got the basic non-recordable box with my Starter/BT Sport subscription.

Bought a second hand BT Youview+ box, updated the software and can record any channel I subscribe to.

Regards

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@robcwrote:

'Alternatively you could buy a BT Youview+ box off a well known auction site and use that instead of the zapper box they supplied you. You won't be able to record any of the BT TV channels with this option.'

That statement is not correct.

I got the basic non-recordable box with my Starter/BT Sport subscription.

Bought a second hand BT Youview+ box, updated the software and can record any channel I subscribe to.

Regards

@robc

But surely you're paying for the BT TV service somehow as you refer to channels you subscribe to.

The Starter Bundle only gives you BT Sport & the zapper box, to get other BT TV channels you pay extra & get a recording Youview+ box.

I don't have BT TV anymore  so I'm going from the bT website re: packages, so I could be easily mistaken.

0 Ratings
robc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

The point of my reply was that you don't need BT to supply the Youview+ box.

My Starter/BT Sport package gives me AMC & the BT Sport channels via IP, which I can record along with

all the Freeview channels.

If you replace the non recording box, (by whatever means), with a Youview+ box all that is required is to

update the software when installing it to be able to record any BT supplied IP channels that you are subscribing to.

Admittedly, if you want more than AMC, then you will have to subscribe to the 'higher' packages, which will mean by default that BT will supply you with a recordable box.

Regards

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 9 of 9

@robcwrote:
which will mean by default that BT will supply you with a recordable box.

No they won't, you can upgrade TV packages but won't be given another box free of charge, discounted yes but not free.

0 Ratings